Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for you cops....

NOTALENT
    While out riding a motorcycle waiting at a signal sometimes the singal will not notice your there. I have sat through 3 signals before waiting before I got pissed and went when it was clear. What would you do if you saw this happen and the rider explained what was going on?? If you ticketed them what would a judge say if the rider tried to fight it???
    I ask because a guy on a motorcycle forum did this however he was rear ended by a woman while doing so. He got ticketed for this and is waiting to see whos fault it was via the police report...Kinda a weird situation.....

NOTALENT
    bump

HocusPocus
    i got a ticket for doing that 10 years ago. since then i never stopped in the middle of the road at a stoplight, i always stopped to one side and if the light didn't change by the time a car pulled up i just waved the car forward and it would trigger the light.

Huckleberry
    Something sounds off a tad. If he pulled forward and ran the red light...How did he get rear ended??? Did the other car also keep going forward faster than the M/C did and also blow the light???
    Either was it happened, he is toast for running the red light. Normally it is recommended that when you come across this problem, you should make a right turn on red, go down and then flip a u-turn when it is legal. Then make a right on the original street. I know it's a pain in the arse, but this way it's legal. If this was just a trafic ticket he may have a chance explaining it to the judge. But when it causes an accident...I'd say he's toast.
    The only time I can think of it being legal to run a red signal is when an emergency vehicle is approaching from behind rolling Code 3 and there is no other path for the emergency vehicle to take but through stopped traffic. When you see the lights and siren coming up on you and it is clear the emergency vehicle needs you to move out of the way, do so when it is clear to allow them through.

CampbellCarl
    I asked a LEO this same question and was told the "book" answer would be for the rider to merge into the through lane (when clear of course), go through the intersection and make another turn decision down the road.
    He also said that unless your left turn on a red arrow was UNSAFE, he would ignore it. Having said that though, this would just be another opportunity to pull us over and check exhaust, helmet, etc.
    Carl

C-2
    A MIRT will solve your problem.
    .......OK, OK, kidding

NOTALENT
    Something sounds off a tad. If he pulled forward and ran the red light...How did he get rear ended??? Did the other car also keep going forward faster than the M/C did and also blow the light???
    Either was it happened, he is toast for running the red light. Normally it is recommended that when you come across this problem, you should make a right turn on red, go down and then flip a u-turn when it is legal. Then make a right on the original street. I know it's a pain in the arse, but this way it's legal. If this was just a trafic ticket he may have a chance explaining it to the judge. But when it causes an accident...I'd say he's toast.
    The only time I can think of it being legal to run a red signal is when an emergency vehicle is approaching from behind rolling Code 3 and there is no other path for the emergency vehicle to take but through stopped traffic. When you see the lights and siren coming up on you and it is clear the emergency vehicle needs you to move out of the way, do so when it is clear to allow them through.
    I didnt post his whole story....He was making a U turn and she kept going thinking it was green since he was going....she then rear ended him.
    If your in the far left lane there is no way possible to make a right turn on red...you would have to cross over a few lanes of traffic......Merging going str8 can be a bummer to if two lanes turn left....there has to be a give somewhere...right?

NOTALENT
    I asked a LEO this same question and was told the "book" answer would be for the rider to merge into the through lane (when clear of course), go through the intersection and make another turn decision down the road.
    He also said that unless your left turn on a red arrow was UNSAFE, he would ignore it. Having said that though, this would just be another opportunity to pull us over and check exhaust, helmet, etc.
    Carl
    I guess it depends on how the cop is feeling that day.....Im legal so I have no problem him checkin it all out...Currently saving for a track bike.

Huckleberry
    I didnt post his whole story....He was making a U turn and she kept going thinking it was green since he was going....she then rear ended him.
    If your in the far left lane there is no way possible to make a right turn on red...you would have to cross over a few lanes of traffic......Merging going str8 can be a bummer to if two lanes turn left....there has to be a give somewhere...right?
    Common sense usually prevails if you go to court and explain the situation to the judge/commissioner. Keep in mind I said USUALLY! Some courtrooms have no room in them for common sense.

riverbound
    I asked this question in traffic school once. and the cop said it would be a red light ticket, unless you could prove that the light was malfunctioning.
    You can "trigger" the light by coming up to the stop and then slamming on the brakes wich will cause the sensors to pick up the bike (have to do the same thing at my moms house, the gate in front has a sensor and the bikes arent heavy enough to trigger it)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast