Thread: torque figures?

waterlogged3261
    anyone know where i can read about or find torque ratings on a 1989 454 mag?
    chuck

waterlogged3261
    hey man--thanx,
    i was actually looking for the horse power and torque power ratings of the motor.
    specs if you will --power ratings...i was messing around mercruisers site and the dont seem to post torque ..only horsepower. then on top of that, i cant find anything going back to an 89--just current stuff. they're just stock 454 mags 365 hp going in my big fat cruiser. i'm really just curious.
    not a big deal-
    i am nowhere close to being in the league with the boats and motors on this forum.
    but i sure am learning alot. insane amounts of info here!
    anyhow thanx for the reply-
    i must have something screwed up on here--i dont get emails when i get a reply on this forum--not sure what i'm doing wrong.

DelawareDave
    i must have something screwed up on here--i dont get emails when i get a reply on this forum--not sure what i'm doing wrong.
    user CP at top of page (black bar). "edit options", change "subscribe to threads" to whichever option you want, like instant email notification, etc.

Jetaholic
    hey man--thanx,
    i was actually looking for the horse power and torque power ratings of the motor.
    specs if you will --power ratings...i was messing around mercruisers site and the dont seem to post torque ..only horsepower. then on top of that, i cant find anything going back to an 89--just current stuff. they're just stock 454 mags 365 hp going in my big fat cruiser. i'm really just curious.
    not a big deal-
    i am nowhere close to being in the league with the boats and motors on this forum.
    but i sure am learning alot. insane amounts of info here!
    anyhow thanx for the reply-
    Multiply the horsepower by 5,252 (which is the RPM at which the engine's torque and horsepower equal each other), then divide that by the RPM at which you're trying to find the torque.
    Torque=(HP X 5,252)/RPM
    Jon

Havasu47
    Multiply the horsepower by 5,252 (which is the RPM at which the engine's torque and horsepower equal each other), then divide that by the RPM at which you're trying to find the torque.
    Torque=(HP X 5,252)/RPM
    Jon
    With your formula a 365 HP engine at 1000 rpms will make 1,916.98 foot pounds of torque.....

Jetaholic
    With your formula a 365 HP engine at 1000 rpms will make 1,916.98 foot pounds of torque.....
    Um no. First off, do you know of any motor that will make 365HP at 1,000 rpms? Not unless it's a drag motor.
    You're probably thinking that a 365HP motor makes that horsepower at all RPMS. Not so. When they rate a motor for 365HP, that is the peak horsepower that the motor is capable of making. You have to figure out at what RPM does the motor make that horsepower first. Then you plug THAT figure into the equation.
    Make sense?

Havasu47
    Um no. First off, do you know of any motor that will make 365HP at 1,000 rpms? Not unless it's a drag motor.
    You're probably thinking that a 365HP motor makes that horsepower at all RPMS. Not so. When they rate a motor for 365HP, that is the peak horsepower that the motor is capable of making. You have to figure out at what RPM does the motor make that horsepower first. Then you plug THAT figure into the equation.
    Make sense?
    It was all in fun No I don't think a 365 HP engine makes that Horsepower at all RPM's. LMAO

Jetaholic
    It was all in fun No I don't think a 365 HP engine makes that Horsepower at all RPM's. LMAO
    Oops...over my head. :crossx:

waterlogged3261
    interesting.....