Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bilge pump back flows. How do I stop it?

Mr. Crusader 83
    When my boat is up on shore, the water flows back through the bilge pump outlet. How do I stop it? Does someone make a check valve? Where can I find one?

73kona455
    is the outlet below the waterline?

R.A.D.man
    If you run the hose up above the water line then back down to the outlet, it should quit siphoning back on you.

Mr. Crusader 83
    it is not when the boat sits in the water. but when you have it up on shore, or if someone is sitting on the engine cover it goes below the water.

Mr. Crusader 83
    If you run the hose up above the water line then back down to the outlet, it should quit siphoning back on you.
    so if i say zip tie it up to some of the wires under the back, that are up at deck hieght it will stop doing this? When the boat is stopped in the water the outlet is about 2in above the water. When its on shore, the outlet is about 2in under water

YeLLowBoaT
    As long as the hose is above the water line you will be fine.

Mr. Crusader 83
    Thanks guys. I have had a leak for a while. Tried filling the boat with water and not a drop came out. so hopefully this will work.

moneysucker
    Just put an auto bilge on it and call it a day or you can try a back check device for PVC pipe at Home depot. you will be out $5

FOURQ
    mine does it too and thats what i did and it works fine
    Just put an auto bilge on it and call it a day

All good advice. I put a loop in my bilge line and it works like a p trap. Also installed an auto bilge pump by Rule. It has some ciruitry in that tells it to come on every 2 minutes. If it senses water (resistance), it'll bilge until it's dry then stop. Then goes back to checking every 2 minutes. Much better than old flipper type float switch deal. $35.00 from West Marine or similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast