Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think wetbacks in a car are bad?

HighRoller
    Imagine your highways packed with wetbacks driving semi trucks. Well, come the end of the year the "gubment", as Clone472 calls it, is going to let Mexican based trucks operate in our country. Previously they could only operate within a 17 mile radius of the border for the purposes of delivering goods. Now we will be blessed with hundreds or thousands of diesel belching deathtraps from Mexico sharing the highways with our loved ones.
    Initially, the program failed to gain approval because the Mexican trucks could not meet even the most rudimetary environmental or safety standards under the laws enforced by the FMCSA, DOT and EPA. Now, however, political pressure has overcome those considerations and we'll see Mexican trucks on our highways by the end of the year. For those not familiar with trucking, this will be a disaster for Americans who own and/or drive trucks. Since the Mexicans can operate at a far lower cost they will be highly sought by shippers and brokers once in the country. As a result, freight rates and driver pay will plummet, further aggravating the already difficult issue of driver shortages in the industry. I have no doubt that companies like Swift will relocate a percentage of their fleet to Mexico and staff trucks with Mexican drivers instead of paying American drivers a higher wage.
    For example, I have a friend who frequently hauls produce and frozen veggies from Nogales Mexico for 2-3 bucks a mile. If a Mexican truck that normally delivered the load to Nogales can deliver it to Salt Lake City or elsewhere, my friend will lose those loads as well as the load he would normally haul from Salt Lake to California. The Mexican truck would probably accept 50-80 cents a mile from the broker, who would probably buy it from the shipper for $1-$1.50 a mile. Everyone wins except the American Owner Operator.
    Sorry for sounding like Chicken Little, but after watching what happened other job markets and corporate America's willingness to sell its soul for a buck, I think the odds of this scenario coming to fruition are fairly high. If it does, I'll be forced out of a profession that I love. And sadly I think I would seriously consider moving out of the country because I have no desire to pay tax dollars to support a country where this type of betrayal is allowed. Now that the way has been paved for Bush and the Dems to force almnesty down our throats, there will be 100 million illegal immigrants in this country by 2010. Beyond that, the "North American Union" is rearing its ugly head as well. I wonder how many "Ameros" per hour I'll be paid to drive a truck for the NAU??

Kachina26
    Come on now, they're just doing jobs that Americans are not willing to do!
    for substandard wages

Look at the bright side. The Mexican drivers will probably choose to live here too so we can pay for their health care and educate their kids. Probably will be given citizenship and will carry dual citizenship.
    And when they t-bone and kill your family with their 3 million mile peterbilt with no brakes...
    que? ah... no habla engles...
    Oh what a wonderful world!

Old Texan
    I hadn't heard about this issue Highroller. We do a lot of shipping to the border and I have seen the crap rigs these guys drive when they come to pick up from border warehouses. I can't see them being on our highways because of their poor condition. The Texas Dept. of Public Safety is very particular on road worthiness and I'd find it hard to believe they'd sit back and allow these junkers to travel here. But I've seen some crazy things.

Everyone wins except the American Owner Operator.
    Sorry for sounding like Chicken Little, but after watching what happened other job markets and corporate America's willingness to sell its soul for a buck, I think the odds of this scenario coming to fruition are fairly high. If it does, I'll be forced out of a profession that I love. And sadly I think I would seriously consider moving out of the country because I have no desire to pay tax dollars to support a country where this type of betrayal is allowed. Now that the way has been paved for Bush and the Dems to force almnesty down our throats, there will be 100 million illegal immigrants in this country by 2010. Beyond that, the "North American Union" is rearing its ugly head as well. I wonder how many "Ameros" per hour I'll be paid to drive a truck for the NAU??
    What do you mean "everyone wins except the American Owner/Operator"? Look back to Deregulation on the late 70s and early 80s when the public was told that by deregulating freight rates would mean lower prices to the consumer. Did that happen? Don't know about you but my grocery bill didn't go down, my gas/diesel bill didn't go down and nothing else went down. Do you think that even if they get the Mexicans to run for $.50 per mile they will pass the savings on to us? We get screwed no matter what these assholes do. BTW I've been an O/O for 35 years so I have dealt with many of the issues that have plagued the industry. As to your taxpayers comment we have been paying to bury ourselves for years, they just found another way to speed up the process.

Blown 472
    Imagine your highways packed with wetbacks driving semi trucks. Well, come the end of the year the "gubment", as Clone472 calls it, is going to let Mexican based trucks operate in our country. Previously they could only operate within a 17 mile radius of the border for the purposes of delivering goods. Now we will be blessed with hundreds or thousands of diesel belching deathtraps from Mexico sharing the highways with our loved ones.
    Initially, the program failed to gain approval because the Mexican trucks could not meet even the most rudimetary environmental or safety standards under the laws enforced by the FMCSA, DOT and EPA. Now, however, political pressure has overcome those considerations and we'll see Mexican trucks on our highways by the end of the year. For those not familiar with trucking, this will be a disaster for Americans who own and/or drive trucks. Since the Mexicans can operate at a far lower cost they will be highly sought by shippers and brokers once in the country. As a result, freight rates and driver pay will plummet, further aggravating the already difficult issue of driver shortages in the industry. I have no doubt that companies like Swift will relocate a percentage of their fleet to Mexico and staff trucks with Mexican drivers instead of paying American drivers a higher wage.
    For example, I have a friend who frequently hauls produce and frozen veggies from Nogales Mexico for 2-3 bucks a mile. If a Mexican truck that normally delivered the load to Nogales can deliver it to Salt Lake City or elsewhere, my friend will lose those loads as well as the load he would normally haul from Salt Lake to California. The Mexican truck would probably accept 50-80 cents a mile from the broker, who would probably buy it from the shipper for $1-$1.50 a mile. Everyone wins except the American Owner Operator.
    But outsourcing is good for america.

QuickJet
    But outsourcing is good for america.
    Damn, that's what I was gonna say.

BUSHWACKER
    Your friend will still get "some" work, the front half of their trailers will be full of illegals! :hammerhea

OKIE-JET
    BUSHWACKER, I'll be glad to haul um. Load that 53 to the back doors an I'll take um from the border all the way to Canada, in the middle of July, an did I mention it would be a dry van? F*ckers be good for nothin more than shoe leather when they get there.
    Rio
    Can I roustabout for ya? Just lemme watch.

Forkin' Crazy
    Your friend will still get "some" work, the front half of their trailers will be full of illegals! :hammerhea
    yea and the sleepers will be full of coke!:idea:
    I hear the mexican highway is on the drawing board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast