Thread: Mallory Ignition

West Coast Dave
    When using a Mallory Magnetic Breakerless distributor do you need to run a ballast resistor? The guy that had the boat before had a Unilite w/ a ballast resistor in place. We have a new Magnetic Breakerless to replace the Unilite. If we do need a ballast resistor what kind of voltage should I get on the coil side. I was reading only 3.8 - 4.0 volts before. Thanx!

78Eliminator
    hey

Dave, if you go to www.mrgasket.com , you can find instruction sheets for Mallory products. It appears that the Unilite and Magnetic Breakerless wire up exactly the same.
    [ September 18, 2002, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: OLDSQUIRT ]

Dennis Moore
    West Coast Dave,
    Yep, that thing won't last long without a resistor! Not much of an ignition with that resistor in place though, same amount of poop as a points ignition!
    Dennis

HM
    Before I got my Crane Hi6R ignition, I had to run 2 ballast resistors in series.
    Now the Crane ignition takes advantage of the optical trigger in the unilite and the combo has turned out to work well. Bye-bye ballast resistors!

HammerDown
    Hey Dennis...maybe you can tell me just why the Pertronix Ignitor-2 won't work on the Mallory #YL670 Dual point dist????
    My dual point distributor has been more than dependable...and seems to work fine for the rpm's I'm turning...but if I could, I would like to try the above unit.

Dennis Moore
    I don't know why but it won't fit. I did a magazine article on converting the Mallory to the Pertronix Ignitor II and the people at Pertronix are really great people. Give them a call and ask them yourself. You would be impressed with there operation in San Dimas California!
    Dennis

HammerDown
    Dennis Moore:
    I don't know why but it won't fit. I did a magazine article on converting the Mallory to the Pertronix Ignitor II and the people at Pertronix are really great people. Give them a call and ask them yourself. You would be impressed with there operation in San Dimas California!
    DennisYes I have that mag with your convertion article (well done)...I called them...said no we don't offer one for a yl670-(AV).
    Now they said they could make up a custome unit that will work...I figured the price would be more than it's worth. Maybe a msd or crane box next year?