Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: amp & speaker choices

h20skiracer
    I used to work in a stero shop, and doing customer service over the phone. Fosgate sucks. Period. Don't go with it. JL is good, but you can get the same thing from kicker by buying a couple of their Solobaric subs (L7 is the more powerful of the two), and you won't break your pocket book. The L7 has an RMS rating of 1000 watts on the 15" sub also. Plus Kicker has a rubber surround, they're gonna last longer. JL has a foam surround. That can get brittle over time, especially sitting in a hot boat. The other thing about the Solobaric subs is that they are a dual voice coil, you're gonna have more options for wiring than with JL. JL has some funky impedances on some of ther subs, like 3 ohms, and stuff like that. With a 4 ohm dvc sub, you can wire it down to 2 ohms, and get more out of your amp. Phoenix Gold make a very good product, and I wouldn't shy away from them either. Look into it more.
    DON'T RUN YOUR SUBS AT MAX POWER!!!!!! The RMS rating on a subwoofer is there for a reason. That is the maximum wattage it can handle at a constant.

Mr. Naudio
    imoa
    a big noway on the R/F if you boat in havasu.
    if I had the money i would go with the jl for subs and diamond for the highs
    going to 6x9s would be a waste

phebus
    DON'T RUN YOUR SUBS AT MAX POWER!!!!!! The RMS rating on a subwoofer is there for a reason. That is the maximum wattage it can handle at a constant.
    I don't run mine at full power, it was more a comment of the power handling capabilities of the W7, and the power needs.

riverbound
    I used to work in a stero shop, and doing customer service over the phone. Fosgate sucks. Period. Don't go with it. JL is good, but you can get the same thing from kicker by buying a couple of their Solobaric subs (L7 is the more powerful of the two), and you won't break your pocket book. The L7 has an RMS rating of 1000 watts on the 15" sub also. Plus Kicker has a rubber surround, they're gonna last longer. JL has a foam surround. That can get brittle over time, especially sitting in a hot boat. The other thing about the Solobaric subs is that they are a dual voice coil, you're gonna have more options for wiring than with JL. JL has some funky impedances on some of ther subs, like 3 ohms, and stuff like that. With a 4 ohm dvc sub, you can wire it down to 2 ohms, and get more out of your amp. Phoenix Gold make a very good product, and I wouldn't shy away from them either. Look into it more.
    Do you have any clue what you are talking about??? What shop did you work in??

riverbound
    The info that SWB gave is pretty much the same I would give you. Of course there will be preferences in brands that will vary you definitely are on the right track. ALWAYS go with the most power you can afford.
    This other guy.....dont listen to him. Sounds like he used to work the customer service desk for circuit city or someone like that......a far cry from an audio professional.

h20skiracer
    The info that SWB gave is pretty much the same I would give you. Of course there will be preferences in brands that will vary you definitely are on the right track. ALWAYS go with the most power you can afford.
    This other guy.....dont listen to him. Sounds like he used to work the customer service desk for circuit city or someone like that......a far cry from an audio professional.
    I have never had any problems with anything I have ever set anyone up with. And I do agree to go with what u can afford.

h20skiracer
    And by the way it was just a suggestion. Everyone has their preference for audio equipment.

Phat Matt
    So what brand is better?

riverbound
    So what brand is better?
    Rockwood I used to work as a home appliance salesman at circuit city, but I went to lunch with the car audio guys every once in a while and I heard them say Rockwood builds the best stuff out there

Phat Matt
    Rockwood I used to work as a home appliance salesman at circuit city, but I went to lunch with the car audio guys every once in a while and I heard them say Rockwood builds the best stuff out there
    Sweet. Walmart carries a nice line of stuff too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast