Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: amp & speaker choices

riverbound
    Sweet. Walmart carries a nice line of stuff too.
    I know....I worked as a greeter there, but on my breaks I would go and browse the car audio section and the Jensen stuff (or Yenson as pronounced by our customers) Flew off the shelves. So i would highly recommend that too

ROZ
    JL has some funky impedances on some of ther subs, like 3 ohms, and stuff like that.
    There was a reason for it... 3 dual 6ohmvc drivers could get you to 1 or 4 ohms , 2 dual 6ohmvc drivers would get you 1.5 or 6ohm , and 1 dual 6ohmvc would get you 3 or 12 ohms Nominal ratings, ofcourse...
    Same with the 1.5 vc's... it's all about having flexibility
    The surround on the JLs is a hybrid foam/rubber with excellent uv protection
    Also agree with these guys on the subs vs power.. I know of several boats with w7's and matching power that have performed well for years... Unless you plan to put atleast 700 watts to an L7 get L5's.....
    2 W6v2's will put out plenty of db's... Heck, just one rocks

rivercrazy
    Boat stereo systems always have issues with sufficient supply of power. Most stereo listening is done with the motor off. Unless you have a generator/powersupply/battery charger setup, I would recommend not going down the JL W7 route. Or any other sub that requires a ton of power.
    Stick with more efficient subs but just increase the # of em. The system will be louder using the same or even less power. I'm running four 10" Infinity Perfect subs off a 1200 watt amp. It puts out more than enough spl. The gains are turned down despite 8 other component speakers being fed a little over 1000 watts.
    4 10's will be louder than 1 12" sub with equal power

h20skiracer
    Sweet. Walmart carries a nice line of stuff too.
    HaHa! I love it! Don't forget to check out the Dub speakers with the spinners for grilles!

h20skiracer
    Boat stereo systems always have issues with sufficient supply of power. Most stereo listening is done with the motor off. Unless you have a generator/powersupply/battery charger setup, I would recommend not going down the JL W7 route. Or any other sub that requires a ton of power.
    Stick with more efficient subs but just increase the # of em. The system will be louder using the same or even less power. I'm running four 10" Infinity Perfect subs off a 1200 watt amp. It puts out more than enough spl. The gains are turned down despite 8 other component speakers being fed a little over 1000 watts.
    I agree. More power isn't always the best way to go.

Chubby4Life
    HaHa! I love it! Don't forget to check out the Dub speakers with the spinners for grilles!
    Guys, stop with the cheap stuff. I'm try to get high end stuff here......Fugg'it I'll just hit the mission swapmeet this weekend. Seriously though, thanks for the input it's helping alot.
    Chris

h20skiracer
    Guys, stop with the cheap stuff. I'm try to get high end stuff here......Fugg'it I'll just hit the mission swapmeet this weekend. Seriously though, thanks for the input it's helping alot.
    Chris
    Good Luck!!!

Chubby4Life
    O.K. Here's what I installed:
    Premier head unit
    DEH P860MP
    J.L. amps
    1000/1
    500/1
    (2) 300/4
    J.L. Subs
    (2) 12w6
    (2) 10w6
    Diamond Audio Mids.
    (10) D661i
    I also purchased a Honda EU2000i generator and the Cascade 90 unit. My next question is this: Do I have everything I need to set up the generator system (minus the exaust hoses, and misc. fittings) or do I also need regulators and other hardware?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Phat Matt
    O.K. Here's what I installed:
    Premier head unit
    DEH P860MP
    J.L. amps
    1000/1
    500/1
    (2) 300/4
    J.L. Subs
    (2) 12w6
    (2) 10w6
    Diamond Audio Mids.
    (10) D661i
    I also purchased a Honda EU2000i generator and the Cascade 90 unit. My next question is this: Do I have everything I need to set up the generator system (minus the exaust hoses, and misc. fittings) or do I also need regulators and other hardware?
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    I was told that the 90 was too much for the Honda 2000 so I went with the 75. I think Mbrown2 has the 90 in his so what do I know. I haven't had a problem keeping up with my system with the 75 though. Sounds like a nice set up.

Chubby4Life
    I bought the cascade by following the link in your post from way back when. There wasn't a phone # on the web page to ask any qeustions. I figured a little bigger wouldn't hurt. You havn't had any problems with the 75?
    Chris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast