Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much performance can I expect

killerbeez
    Wanted to know how much performance I would gain by switching out the panther jet and going to a Dominator/American Turbine or Berkley.Also is it worth the time and effort to convert or should I just sell the boat and buy a different boat.The boat is a 21' open bow 454 and runs about 50 mph.The panther is freshly rebuilt and has the place diverter conversion.

Ken F
    KB-
    Having gone through the exact senerio you describe I would offer this:
    Evaluate what you want out of a boat.
    Speed or a good-time lake cruzer?
    I changed my 21" open bow/Jacuzzi to an Amer Turbine/dominator pump, straightened the bottom, added lots of HP, and spent a ton of time and money....way more than I should have in hindsite.
    I now have a tunnel hull which is a little over 100mph. We have no room in it & Everybody is afraid to get in it. I love it however! LOL But I'm speed addicted.
    How much can you expect? I was able with a lot of help and Advice from HTP to get it up to 72 mph.
    I think that's about the max you could expect without doing a blown engine.
    Hope this helps,
    Ken F

Wicked Performance Boats
    You're going to get alot of guesses at performance increases and opinions on the conversion to berkeley style jetpump. But the truth of the matter is. Do you really like this boat and want to keep it, and how much money and hassle do you want to spend chasing a few mph? I'm not a panther guy, but those pumps are good dependable jetpump. That's alot of money to spend for a few mph. Just run the sh#t out of it and next time you buy a boat, make sure it has a Berkeley in it! Budlight IMHO

killerbeez
    This is my first boat and I do like it alot,I just don't know if spending $4000-$6000 in converting a pump is worth it.If I am looking at a couple mph gain then noway I will do it,butif it would be significant like 10-15 mph than it might be worth it.

Wicked Performance Boats
    This is my first boat and I do like it alot,I just don't know if spending $4000-$6000 in converting a pump is worth it.If I am looking at a couple mph gain then noway I will do it,butif it would be significant like 10-15 mph than it might be worth it.
    I doubt 10 mph but 15 mph, no way! If you want a performance increase, wait till you think the pump needs a rebuild and have it blueprinted by a professional pump builder Budlight. [l

breezeblocker
    my 21 open bow with 454 and dominator runs about 55mph. if you are running 50, thats not so bad...

Cas
    Jet Boat Performance has a pretty cool conversion utilizing the Panther intake so there isn't any hull mods to be done.
    http://www.jetboatperformance.com
    As far as getting 10-15mph gain, not unless you do a whole lot more than a pump swap. What you will get is a little more tunability by being able to change some parts and/or add different aftermarket products.
    Since you like the boat, I'd suggest leaving the pump alone and add a little more HP to get a few more MPH's.
    How about a little more info on your engine?

killerbeez
    How about a little more info on your engine?[/QUOTE]
    The engine is getting sent off to be rebuilt in a couple of weeks.The engine decided to eat one of the valves,chunk the cam and swallow a piece of the lifter.The engine for the most part is stockwith the exception of slightly higher performance heads.I have had the boat for 4 months and the seller told me the engine was rebuilt last year.Somehow I seriously doubt it now.

"78 cole " did this very thing in an 18'er and from what I recall he gained quite a bit . Not 10 - 15 mph I dont think . The panther might be the hot ticket for your set up though . Esecially if you''ll only gain a couple mph by doin the swap.
    -beerjet-

Wicked Performance Boats
    "78 cole " did this very thing in an 18'er and from what I recall he gained quite a bit . Not 10 - 15 mph I dont think . The panther might be the hot ticket for your set up though . Esecially if you''ll only gain a couple mph by doin the swap.
    -beerjet-
    78 cole did it at the same time setting his pump back and making other mods. Killerbeez is doing a mostly stock engine rebuild. I'd leave the pump alone. Budlight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast