Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk nozzle diameter...

steelcomp
    not a chance.Pretty complicated deal to make something adjustable (enough) that maintains some kind of effecient shape. I'm keepin mine under my hat.

YeLLowBoaT
    You know I seem to recall some one making a ~ 4" varaible venterui for high presure apps. ( back when I use to work for a custom aquarium manufactor...) I want to say it had some type of "pie shape " cuts that inter locked locked some how...( simlar to a jet engine) now if I could only remember who made it...

blue wonder
    Thanks for the link. that's what im talking about but it would be adjustable on the fly. swapping nozzle inserts does effect the boat's performance to a degree but i havent found one that is perfect. its so far been a compromise between holeshot and top end performance.
    i'm thinking of something that i could adjust as the boat is running like on a fighter jet engine.
    i got one for ya...we screwed a nozzle up chucking it up in a four jaw on the lathe and obolnged it...from top to bottom it is a 3.130 and from side to side it is a 3.100....sounds retarded but its what im running right now...at phoenix this year i tried a straight 3.125, a 3.100, and a 3.090...and oddly enough the screwed up one performed the best..its kinda weird because we tried opening it up and pinching it to make it run out the back door a little harder and all it did was fall off on the big end and the thing wouldnt leave???..go figure???...i dont know why but that damn thing works the best for my boat.

cyclone
    Tony were you running a launch controller during the passes you swapped nozzles and did the weather change much?

cyclone
    Mike, what were the performance gains you noticed, or how do you see it being advantageous? I understand the principal of different nozzle sizes, just still not sure the hassle would be worth the benefit. There's so many other fine tuning that can be done. What would you say the range of adjustment would need to be?
    in my application i'd think i'd need a range of at least 3.060 to 3.125-inch
    as for the gains, i'd hate to put info out there that might not be correct for everyone.
    incremental changes made noticable improvements on one side of the coin and hurt the other, which is what makes me think that if you could holeshot the boat with the water coming out at a certain diameter nozzle and then change it later on in the run, say with a timer, that the boat would respond positively.

If you had something that could change during a run, id look at going for a broader range. 3.06 and 3.125 are good all around nozzles.

MikeF
    I've got the old brochure somewhere. I'll have to dig it out. :mix:

Aduner2
    Many years ago(early 80's) at the LA Boat Show was a protoype pump with a hydraulicly controlled droop, up/down trim, and variable nozzle system. It was blue anodized on the back of a 21 crusier. Most awsome machining I've seen at the time. I believe an Eliminator 19' daytona was at the show with this pump mod also in the Eliminator booth. I think Dana Marine (billet stuff) was involved with it. Very innovative and very expensive.

steelcomp
    as for the gains, i'd hate to put info out there that might not be correct for everyone.
    incremental changes made noticable improvements on one side of the coin and hurt the other, which is what makes me think that if you could holeshot the boat with the water coming out at a certain diameter nozzle and then change it later on in the run, say with a timer, that the boat would respond positively.My guess is that a larger nozzle on launch would be like "low gear"...big volume, less velocity, then narrow it down as you go down the track..."high gear"...higher velocity, less volume. Might make it easier to feed the pump at higher speeds with less water requirement.

sdpm
    Many years ago(early 80's) at the LA Boat Show was a protoype pump with a hydraulicly controlled droop, up/down trim, and variable nozzle system. It was blue anodized on the back of a 21 crusier. Most awsome machining I've seen at the time. I believe an Eliminator 19' daytona was at the show with this pump mod also in the Eliminator booth. I think Dana Marine (billet stuff) was involved with it. Very innovative and very expensive.
    It was Dana. Very trick piece.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast