Thread: cut the shaft

Fired Up
    I need to cut my (solid) driveshaft down 1 inch. Because of the hardness of the steel I was told to use a "carborundum" blade, not a carbide blade on the chop saw. Has anyone heard of this blade type. I know there a some readers here that have some experience with this. What do you suggest? Thanks,...

Snowboat
    A carbide blade is for wood. It has little chunks of carbide on the tips of the teeth. A carborundum blade is a metal cutting blade made of epoxy and grit. Any metal cutting, grinding wheel looking, type of blade will work. Cool it as you go so you don't turn the steel blue. As my late father used to say "non illegitimi carborundum", Latin for "don;t let the bastards wear you down.

Fired Up
    I found the type of metal cutting blades you speak of. However, none say they are "carborundrum", is this just accepted as what they are? What do you cool with.....water, wd-40..? Thanks for the help.

Fired Up
    I found the type of metal cutting blades you speak of. However, none say they are "carborundrum", is this just accepted as what they are? What do you cool with.....water, wd-40..? Thanks for the help.

Sam, take it to a local Machine shop and have one of them throw it in their wiz bang machines. It will take 2 minutes and cost you $20. How are things going? Hope to see that thing out soon.

Fired Up
    Hey JBG,
    Long time no hear? My boat sounds good. Trying like heck to get ready for November, but time is not on my side. Work has been extra busy and spare time at home has been slim. Whats up with you? Anything new on the horizon? Went to a local driveline shop to get the driveshaft cut and they did not have the right type of blade. Maybe I should try a machine shop instead. Thinking I could do it myself if its just the right type of blade on a chop saw....
    S.

pgf127rt
    Sam, I have cut my shafts with the chop saw many times, and those blades are carborondum, just cool it with H2O, I think if you use Wd-40 you might have to call the FD,J/K.

schiada96
    Fired up,
    I can do it for you

Fired Up
    Schiada,
    Thanks for the offer! Send me an e-mail (time , location)and we'll see what we can work out.
    Fired Up