Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Parque floor

Can anyone tell Me what the floor covering in this boat is,where can I get the materials to do the floor and how is it installed.If any one can help I would appreciate it.Thank's .....Hal
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/277400_3.jpg

Doin' Time
    very nice...im sure that aint no jet boat is it???

dmontzsta
    There is very thin sheets you can buy, but you have to strip the floor down and it requires some work. Lots of boats actually come with it.

Konabud
    Why would you say that? :idea:

Yes Guy's this is a jet boat. I have seen this floor in several boats and have always wonderd how it is done.I think it makes an awesome looking floor.Click on this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COLE-...3QQitemZ460713 6140QQrdZ1,or check out the "this boat sure is purrdy"thread,posted today by 396.

its a good thing your sure it aint no jet boat or are you ?

olbiezer
    its a jetboat all right.....its bulsa wood and not too many jets have it........i had a biesemeyer jet that had it......only other jet i ever saw with it.........

flat broke
    The wood is typically balsa. The idea (when used for actual boat construction as opposed to ornamental work) is that balsa will provide rigidity at a lower weight than layer after layer of glass. The way this is achieved is by utilizing the wood's grain structure to provide the strength, then encapsulate it in glass to maintain it's integrity. Imagine a long piece of lumber (balsa in this case) with the grain running the length of the stock. You then start cutting slices off the stock. This creates lots of little pannels with the grain standing vertically in the piece. If youve worked with wood, you know that the material is far stronger when the load is applied with the grain as opposed to perpendicular to the grain. These small panels are then laid out on a mat of some sort and bonded down so that you basically get sheets of the material.
    When used for the application it was designed and with the appropriate amount of resin, balsa coring will provide a significant increase in rigidity at a lower weight than layer upon layer of glass. The downside? That nice top coat you see has to be maintained, and you have to take care when rigging not to leave any of the balsa exposed to the elements. The stuff is very porous (hence it's light weight) and as such is a magnet for water.
    I'm not a pro, so hopefully Billy, Todd, Futs, FourQ or someone else will chime in to correct me, or enhance the following. First you would make sure that the surface you will be applying the material to is flat, clean, and properly prepped. Then lay down a layer of resin (maybe with cloth or mat, I'm not sure) then lay down the coring material. Laminate that with glass and resin (check with a pro on what weight of material etc). Last prepare the surface (sand smooth etc.) for your top coat. From what I understand, Duratec/Duratec with gel, flowcoat, and clear gel can be used to create the final layer that will be seen and felt. That's then sanded and buffed to the finish you see in the pictue above.
    The base material isn't cheap, you'll be into it for many hours of work (sanding), and when it's all said and done, you'll be adding more weight to your boat, which usually degrades performance in one area or another. The amount of care that must be taken not to scratch the floor etc. would definitely detract from the usability of a "lake boat". The stuff looks cool as hell, and when incorporated into the lamination schedule as part of the design/build is very functional.
    As for whether or not that's a jet boat or a V'drive, I don't see any pedals other than the gas, so I'd lean towards a jet.
    Chris

Jeanyus
    My jetboat has the wood floor
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859rails.jpg
    as stated it is high maintianence, that is why mine does not look so nice. The bolts that hold the fuel tanks in leaked, and the balsa wood soaked up water causing it to rot. Had to grind it all out and glass it back in. When polished up it can look nice, but gets thrased with reguler boat use, sand, dirt, shoes, dropping wrenches on it etc.

Balsa fooring is pretty easy to do. The area to be covered must be 100% flat/smooth.
    After wetting down a layer of mat and then laying down the balsa, (it comes bonded to a sheet and is very easy to handle), a good heavy rolling pin is used to roll the balsa flat and remove the bubbles. After it's kicked, start mixing the resin 'cause it soaks up a ton if it, and the final coat of mat/cloth cannot be applied until it's done sucking up the stuff.
    No strength to it at all, except for the the minimal glass used to hold it in place, but it sure is beautiful to look at.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast