Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Parque floor

I'm getting myself into a hole. lol
    Guess I should have stated that 'in my opinion, and based on the way I was taught, it's not stronger'.
    I have no idea who Ervin or Kevin Felkins are, but I'm certainly am not saying anyone, much less their way of doing things, is wrong. If that's the way they build 'em, and that's what they tell their customers, so be it.
    You can make flimsy glass more rigid by bonding in corrugated cardboard or half of a thick walled cardboard tube or coremat, or, by using the much more pleasing to the eye, much more labor intensive, and certainly more expensive, balsa parquet. Now which one do you thing gained favor with the finer boats being built over the last 3 decades? Half a cardboard tube can do the job just as well, if not better, cost's nothing (use the tube the glass came wrapped on) but looks like shit.

bakerjet
    my Baker has the balsa floor but someone put carpet on it before i got it :cry:
    Half a cardboard tube can do the job just as well, if not better, cost's nothing (use the tube the glass came wrapped on) but looks like shit.
    yep thats what my cables are run through

so whats a 2 by 4 sheet cost todd :rollside:
    Ive seen it as much as 80$ a slab , but i usualy pay somewhere's along 40-50, considering the fact that you would be buying more than one slab,(to do a complete floor) you'd probably get a better price by the box!
    Im sure you could also go to the ends of the earth and find it for pennies, but my "Flying carpet" blew out the "flux capacitor", so im stuck going the shorter distance in my old pick up for supplies!
    P.S. if anyone has a line on a "NEW" flux capacitor, im lookin'! lol
    Todd

Squirtin Thunder
    P.S. if anyone has a line on a "NEW" flux capacitor, im lookin'! lol
    Todd
    There may be one here ???
    Please check out my Ebay store;
    Code Blue Racing (http://stores.ebay.com/codeblueracin...deblueracingQQ tZkm)

flat broke
    There may be one here ???
    Please check out my ebay store;
    Code Blue Racing (http://stores.ebay.com/Code-Blue-Rac...ueracingQQtZkm)
    I didn't see a flux capacitor, just a bunch of product from the CP performance website. So tell me again how this relates to an informational discussion about parque flooring?
    Back on topic,
    Rich, I've got the best of both worlds under my deck, balsa AND halves of cardboard rolls Deffinitely strong, as we've had Hacker and I up on the deck at once with 0 flex
    Now for the next question, If you don't like the ornamental balsa floors, how hard are they to get out? I'm guessing that it's a total nightmare and would require a roll of 60grit disks for the orbital? Is it possible to cut open the glass that encapsulates the floor, then use one of those big flooring scrapers to get underneath it, or is that just begging for disaster in terms of damaging other stuff instead of removing the balsa?
    Chris

Squirtin Thunder
    I didn't see a flux capacitor, just a bunch of product from the CP performance website. So tell me again how this relates to an informational discussion about parque flooring?
    I wonder if you will ever get that job as a moderator ???
    Gosh maybe that is some of the products that I have to offer as a Authorized Dealer for CP Performance ???

MikeF
    One vote for Chris.

Rampager
    The balsa flooring in a boat is there to be part of the structural intergrity of the hull. It is NOT there for looks! It provides the air gap between 2 surfaces that are strong in tension/compression and is TOTALLY necessary. DO not remove it! Ken F has the right idea and there is a reason the grains run perp to the surface.
    (how well you think an I beam woirks if you remove the center web???)
    Cheers
    p.s. yes it can look very nice and many many boats use this material in the bottoms

Ken F
    Rampager, that is a great analagy about the I-beam! Good way to look at it.
    Chris, I would agree, don't take it out. At least do some checking with some boat builders and get their opinion also before you buy a roll of 60 grit!!
    Ken F

flat broke
    Rampager, that is a great analagy about the I-beam! Good way to look at it.
    Chris, I would agree, don't take it out. At least do some checking with some boat builders and get their opinion also before you buy a roll of 60 grit!!
    Ken F
    Don't worry Ken, I fully grasp the idea behind using a core material. I thought I explained it fairly well, earlier in the thread, including the end grain (though the I beam is a great analogy by Rampager)
    In my situation, the parque was laid over a floor that sits on top of the stringers(only back in the engine compartment). In my best guestimation it was done for cosmetic reasons, not stregth, as a 4 stringer Spectra is pretty damn strong back there to begin with. I've been thinking I'd like to shave some weight and spay gel back there instead of the aging parque. So my thought was to strip the parque, prep the old floorboard if it's structurally sound, and then gel it. I wasn't talking about flooring laminated directly to the hull of the boat. In that instance, no I wouldn't think of removing it, unless it was to replace it.
    I Know you've done a lot of structural glass work on your old Omega, so your insignt into getting the parque up, would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast