Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Parque floor

dmontzsta
    yeah but, how to get these cracks out !!whats the best way ???http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...64IM000705.JPG
    Markist
    ouch, how deep are those? it could just be the flowcoat. I would have the floor re-flowed and it would probably look bitchen. IF, it is just the coating that is cracked.

Wicked Performance Boats
    No offence dude, but I've seen 275 pound 19ft race boat record holders that don't have balsa in them. They don't have it in them because it sucks up a lot of resin. It just sounds like you don't know diddly about bulkheading and foam core structural. Balsa is way heavier than divinicell or clegacell. But you own wicked perfomance boats, so your a boatbuilder and you must know that.
    "275 pound 19ft race boat record holders that don't have balsa in them." Duh, really light race boats don't have anything BUT fiberglass in them! Everything you add [foam or balsa], will make it heavier! But you already know that. Balsa is a spacer, that's it. Foam is lighter BUT not cheaper. Foam does not add strength. Foam adds nothing to looks, BUT balsa does! It's kinda like adding a sponge as a spacer. Now if you really know your shit, You can Quote how much balsa weighs wet with resin versus foam wet with resin! How about Carbon fiber too! I don't know everything about layups BUT I'm willing to learn. Are you open to learning? This topic is a very interesting topic for anyone desiring to learn about boat layup and how materials affect weight/and durability. Your turn Budlight :argue:

coolchange
    Good topic. I think there is a couple of different things going at once though. Whats stronger, A piece of Oak or Willow? One is strong becace it is rigid and keeps its form , the other because its flexable and will bend but not break. Here's the way I understand it ( perhaps I'm wrong) Balsa as core in a stressed skin makes a very strong panel but not because of the balsa but because it separates the skins and makes them try to move in tension away from the load direction. Balsa laid on top of a regular lay up schedule for a floor doesn't really do much because its not part of a stressed skin panel. Now my question, If I want to add Balsa to my floor for looks I bed it in mat, flood it in resin, then what? 1 layer of cloth? 2? More mat? Then flo coat.

weekendwarrior
    "275 pound 19ft race boat record holders that don't have balsa in them." Duh, really light race boats don't have anything BUT fiberglass in them! Everything you add [foam or balsa], will make it heavier! But you already know that. Balsa is a spacer, that's it. Foam is lighter BUT not cheaper. Foam does not add strength. Foam adds nothing to looks, BUT balsa does! It's kinda like adding a sponge as a spacer. Now if you really know your shit, You can Quote how much balsa weighs wet with resin versus foam wet with resin! How about Carbon fiber too! I don't know everything about layups BUT I'm willing to learn. Are you open to learning? This topic is a very interesting topic for anyone desiring to learn about boat layup and how materials affect weight/and durability. Your turn Budlight :argue:
    Actually divinicell and clegacell are much stronger and lighter then balsa, and hear is why; These are foams, but not in the conventional way, they are very hard(take one square off of the scrim backing, put it on end and stand on it. It will support your weight.) and they are also what is called a closed cell foam. What is that you ask? It is unable to obsorbe the resin or water for that matter. But it does adhere to liquid resin like no other.Every body knows that balsa needs many extra buckets of resin to keep the mat from turning white, or drying out. Balsa is very cool looking, but not light weight lay up material. Also, that particular race boat that I was talking about had clegacell in spacific parts of the boat to keep it from cracking between the braces. So if you are intersted in learning about lamination I recomend hooking up with someone who doesn't mind enlightening you. I know this is off topic to what the thread started out with, but it is hard not to correct someone who does not know what they are talking about.

weekendwarrior
    Good topic. I think there is a couple of different things going at once though. Whats stronger, A piece of Oak or Willow? One is strong becace it is rigid and keeps its form , the other because its flexable and will bend but not break. Here's the way I understand it ( perhaps I'm wrong) Balsa as core in a stressed skin makes a very strong panel but not because of the balsa but because it separates the skins and makes them try to move in tension away from the load direction. Balsa laid on top of a regular lay up schedule for a floor doesn't really do much because its not part of a stressed skin panel. Now my question, If I want to add Balsa to my floor for looks I bed it in mat, flood it in resin, then what? 1 layer of cloth? 2? More mat? Then flo coat.
    You would want to probably run a layer of 1.5 or 2 ounce mat with your choice ounce cloth. You could also finish that with two or three medium coats of wax resin. Then sand flat and clear coat. good luck.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567