Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To Dyno or not to Dyno??

Danhercules
    That is the question I have.
    Vote and give a reason why.
    I am having a new motor built and was thinking of putting it on the dyno. I was doing this for the tuning. I was thinking, tune it on the dyno, but it in the boat and its done. No messing with plugs, timming, jets, ect.
    I have been talking to some people and they tell me I still have to tune in the boat. So, is a dyno tune good enough or not?
    Of course finding my HP is a plus!!!

Racey
    It's best to do the majority of the tuning on the dyno, but you usually always have to make minor adjustments once its in the boat because the load conditions and drivability are different for every boat

acatitude
    #1 if your having a motor built by all means dyno it not only for hp and tuning, but to be sure its ok. better it breaks on dyno then after. That opens a can of worms and all builders can make mistakes. Had a freind who had a motor built by a well known builder, no dyno. installed motor and spent many hours figuring out there were some adjustments wrong. Just a basic goof that would have been found on dyno.

WannabeRacing
    We have pretty much covered it, but I will give one more. When you go to a prop manufacturer, inpeller guy, converter maker, to have dyno sheets make it so they can make exactly what you need. Throwing around huge numbers when you really cannot make those numbers will give you parts that don't match and don't work.
    Plus everything stated above.

Nucking futs
    I think you need to get it built before you worry about a dyno.....

steelcomp
    While he's doing the pulls, a dyno operator knows what's going on with your motor in far more detail than when you're tuning on the water. He can monitor things that you can't and make adjustments accordingly, and can stop the instant something goes wrong where, usually, it's too late on the water. You can try to tune to performance on the water, but the dyno operator can tune to actual power. Loads can be simulated on a dyno as well, for idle, cruise, and WOT, and anywhere in between. It's money well spent if you have any significant investment in your engine. Yo really shouldn't have to touch it after it's dyno'd. I did mine last year and literally haven't touched it except to install it in the boat.

Danhercules
    I think you need to get it built before you worry about a dyno.....
    It is getting built as we speak. I belive it is at the machine shop. :sqeyes:

Nucking futs
    Really?! So is mine....................

GofastRacer
    Dyno room and the real world are two diferent animals, tune it up in the dyno room and then take out in the open air and it's all out to lunch, also the load from the dyno is not the same as the load induced by the boat!...

Raylar
    Steelcomp explained it perfectly. You should dyno a first time motor for break in and to set things like air /fuels, etc. Lots of so called engine assemblers don't like to dyno because they know if something is not right and the motor gets in trouble on the dyno they will have to step up and make good the cost of the needed repairs. Once its in your boat most engine assemblers start using the old ' its a performance motor" we don't cover excuse. Moral of this story "Use and reputable engine builder not an engine assembler !"
    Ray @ Raylar

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast