Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell some lies.....

mickeyfinn
    I would like to know what boat/engine setup people are running, what kind of gears and prop and what kind of top speeds are you getting?
    I'm setting mine up and trying to decide on what to do. I have a 21 foot hondo with a 402 chevy. I have asked in another thread for advice but this forum is so dead I thought maybe we could breathe a little life into it.

RaysonKid
    Hondo made a 21 ft.????

I had a Hondo runner bottom a few years ago with a 402, ran 15% gears and went about 87 mph with that power. Motor was basically stock with good parts. Not super fast by todays standards but a fun river and ski boat.

oh sorry I didn't read the title.. it went 109 mph at the drags backpedelin. Or was it 111, crap, one of those.

mickeyfinn
    It is a 1973 model....maybe a 20 footer. I bought this from a guy about 15 years ago without a title. Just a bill of sale. I used it for about 10 years. After I got married I blew the engine and let it sit for a while. (Kids are expensive)...But the registration card he gave me and the way it has been registered says 21 feet. Don't know how he measured. I would be real happy with 87 mph. What size prop did you run to get that? Was it measured on radar or gps?

mickeyfinn
    Rexone:
    oh sorry I didn't read the title.. it went 109 mph at the drags backpedelin. Or was it 111, crap, one of those. I like your signature. You would think psychics would win all the lotteries. Or if you call them on the 1-900 numbers you would think they would know from the get go that you were not going to pay them...LOL

I think it was 11 1/2 x 15 stellings on that boat, can't remember. Radar is all we had back then, this was like several years ago. This was an 18 footer too, not a 21, so I would not expect that speed with similar power.

396_Z
    Powertrain wise I'm setting up about the same as you.
    402 / 18% / 11-1/2X15
    I'm looking at around 450-475 hp out of my combo and trying for mid 90's. If it's not quite enough I can tweak the set up or add NOS to get where I want. I'm a firm believer that the 402 is the most under-rated BBC out there.
    Whats going to be important to you is wether or not your heads are 71 or 72 castings. 71's got the better heads. Even though most places I've seen list the 71 castings as 71-75 402/454 I've rarely seen them outside the 71 402. If in fact they are the 71 castings (forgive me, I don't remember the # and mine are elsewhere) set up for higher RPM's and flow than stock heads. I think the cam I picked is 232*/236* and .558" lift at the valve, 110 lobe centers. Thats middle of the road for me. Not an extreme engine but not a mild stocker either.

LVjetboy
    "Tell me some lies..."
    I think that's an appropriate title for a v-drive thread that starts with, "...what top speeds are you getting?"
    Also interesting how many top speeds replys so far:
    One.
    jer

It's just that most vdrivers don't want to post their top speed in a thread that some might confuse with being a lie because of the thread title jer. Its kind of an integrety thing with vdrivers that you're probably not aware of yet since you haven't yet graduated to a vdrive. Not suggesting you don't have integrety in your jet speed claims, you're one of a few jet claims that are legit and backed up with some fact. In fact my guess is if a thread with this same title was posted in the jet forum it would likely have 100 or so posts by now. wink
    I wasn't afraid to post my speed because I figured 87 mph wasn't that fast compared to the "average off the street 100+ mph jet boat speed claim" so it wouldn't be ridiculed as ficticious. This, even though I use to beat 90% of them with my 87 mph runner, lol. Guess their tune ups must have been a bit off those days.
    [ May 24, 2003, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Rexone ]

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast