Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Licensing of boat operators

Ike
    Here we go! now the battle starts! The Commandant of the Coast Guard has come out in favor of licensing. This is a 180 deg reverse of long standing CG policy. Here's the article at Stateline.org
    http://www.stateline.org/live/detail...ntentId=165344
    I have put a poll on my forum http://www.123forum.com/558
    Let's hear what you think.

Mandelon
    As a rule I am against any more meddling of the government within my (our) affairs. A little bit of regulation has a habit of becoming a lot of regulation. The anti smoking crowd has mastered the art of getting just a little bit of what they want year after year and before you know it more rights are gone.
    BUT.....there are so many asswipes on the water that licensing might help to eliminate that problem. It might. But I would imagine that the gov will just use this as an excuse to get us off the water, or as another way to tax us for nothing in return.

Ike
    Is licensing any different than mandatory education and requiring everyone to have a certificate from a boating course? Here in Washington we are all going to have to pass a test anyway. How is this different?

Mandelon
    Don't know yet, we don't have any out here in California. Any idiot with a credit card can rent a 60 mph Seadoo and go out and tear across the water with zero instruction.

wsuwrhr
    Yea it's a great idea.
    Just like having driver's licenses keeps all the retards off the road.
    That'll work.

Lightning
    As a rule I am against any more meddling of the government within my (our) affairs. A little bit of regulation has a habit of becoming a lot of regulation. The anti smoking crowd has mastered the art of getting just a little bit of what they want year after year and before you know it more rights are gone.
    BUT.....there are so many asswipes on the water that licensing might help to eliminate that problem. It might. But I would imagine that the gov will just use this as an excuse to get us off the water, or as another way to tax us for nothing in return.
    I agree with you...I'm not for any more regulation. BUT in the case of boating I think that it's a good thing. Maybe proof of passing a boaters safety course before you can register your boat? But then again, what the difference, we need to get a license to ride a motorcycle...just tack it on at the DMV. Maybe my insurance rates will go down and the water will become less crowded.

I agree with you...I'm not for any more regulation. BUT in the case of boating I think that it's a good thing. Maybe proof of passing a boaters safety course before you can register your boat? But then again, what the difference, we need to get a license to ride a motorcycle...just tack it on at the DMV. Maybe my insurance rates will go down and the water will become less crowded.
    Maybe, you will be voting for the, "Hillderbeast"
    and maybe, we do not need our gun's, any longer..........

wsuwrhr
    Maybe, you will be voting for the, "Hillderbeast"
    and maybe, we do not need our gun's, any longer..........
    You mean any more than we don't need them now?

Nucking futs
    Just go down and take a Coast guard boaters safety coarse and you won't have to worry about anything. That is untill the "MAN" figures out a way to rob more of our money.

wsuwrhr
    Here is a good law.
    10 day wait for firearms purchases.
    Hell after someone owns 3 or 4 or 5 or 6, how is a 10 day wait going to save anyone?
    Since when to criminals obey laws?
    Brian

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast