Thread: Car Sub Info Q's

LHC30Victory
    Son with 93 accord wants to "feel his music" :squiggle: and wants a sub (or 2) for Christmas. He got a bid at a local car audio shop for a Z series amp (4X400), two Kicker 12" subs, enclosure for both and install for $425. I guess the amp has crossovers and will drive the subs and the 4 6.5" speakers in the pass compartment.
    Don't know the exact specs on the hardware but this shop has done decent work before.
    Is this a good deal?

ROZ
    425.oo includes subs, enclosure, amp, door speakers, and install?
    Sounds pretty good to me....
    Our stores charge 75.00 to install a 4channel amp
    custom enclosures start at 180.00
    power , ground , and rca's, you have to be looking at around 50.00
    That's 305.00 already....
    Amp and subs have to be atleast 250.00....

riverbound
    Son with 93 accord wants to "feel his music" :squiggle: and wants a sub (or 2) for Christmas. He got a bid at a local car audio shop for a Z series amp (4X400), two Kicker 12" subs, enclosure for both and install for $425. I guess the amp has crossovers and will drive the subs and the 4 6.5" speakers in the pass compartment.
    Don't know the exact specs on the hardware but this shop has done decent work before.
    Is this a good deal?
    Depends on your definition of a "good deal". if by Good deal you mean cheap price. yes it is a cheap price.
    By "feel the music", your son meant he wants to crank the bass all the way up and attempt to blow the windows out of his car. Here is where spending a little more and going to a very reputable shop will come in to play. With the Level of Equipment you are looking at, your son will constantly be blowing woofers. You need to find out what kind of after the sale customer service the shop offers. How do they handle after the sale warranty? Do they do over the counter exchanges, or do they make you send the stuff to the manufacturer everytime you have a problem? Is the amp going to have enough power to properly power the subwoofers? Under powering woofers is worse than over powering a speaker.
    There are so many more factors that you need to lok at other than price. My advice would be to spend it now or spend twice as much later.

LHC30Victory
    Thanks for the input R + B
    I have several goals here: Dont give him so much boom that he gets himself in trouble; trouble free equipment (warranty is a very good point B); and try to make him happy without breaking the bank. :cry:
    B- why would the woofers be in jeopardy? Is the amp not good enough? The speakers not good enough?
    We started out just intending to put a boxed sub in the trunk with its own amp and we ended up with this - which does make sense, but adds $$$.
    Any suggestions before we go to al and eds

riverbound
    Thanks for the input R + B
    I have several goals here: Dont give him so much boom that he gets himself in trouble; trouble free equipment (warranty is a very good point B); and try to make him happy without breaking the bank. :cry:
    B- why would the woofers be in jeopardy? Is the amp not good enough? The speakers not good enough?
    We started out just intending to put a boxed sub in the trunk with its own amp and we ended up with this - which does make sense, but adds $$$.
    Any suggestions before we go to al and eds
    Who are you dealing with down there??? (al&Eds)
    The woofers wil be in jeopardy because they are most likely going to be underpowered. Which will cause them to distort, I have seen more woofers blow because of this than them blowing because of too much power.
    If I was helping you I would sell you a decent sub amp and subs and tune them down to work with the system now, then we would worry about powering the inside speakers later (birthday, next x-mas etc...). Once the system is complete. then we could increase the level of the woofers.
    Without knowing the specs on the amp I will take a guess that its probably only 50 watts per channel RMS. wich is about half the power I would run to the woofers if they are Kicker comp. woofers
    ** I havent been in this for a bout a year so some of my specs are probably off. but I am probably in the ball park**

LHC30Victory
    I guess I should clarify prior information: The quote was NOT from Al & Ed's - Son did not go there but rather to a place his friend suggested.
    Now, I will be going to A&E either tonight or tomorrow, just want to sound somewhat intelligent when I relay info to son.

ROZ
    Probably better 4ch amp and go with 1 good 10 or 12....
    Mrvf345 and a 10w1 , for example..

riverbound
    Probably better 4ch amp and go with 1 good 10 or 12....
    Mrvf345 and a 10w1 , for example..
    That is good too.

Froggystyle
    Responding to your question in the other thread...
    My opinion?
    Single 12" sub, Five channel amplifier and new separates.
    The five channel will distribute your sub level on it's own and allow you to use a sub level controller. Additionally, you will keep your ability to fade front to rear. They aren't that much. PG sells a good one in the Octane line that I had in the Vette.
    We are also having a hell of a sale on components and subs right now...
    No five channels though, but I can phone my vendor and find out what he can get me if you want... I would stick to PG or JL Audio if you want great quality and a reasonable price. JL makes a new amp for late model car applications with a "Clean Sweep" technology that makes it perfect for integrating into a stock head unit. Great for reliabililty and install ease. Talk to Roz about that one.
    I can handle speakers easily. Let Roz do the amp and have a competent shop build an enclosure and wire in the gear. Tweeter may be your best choice for this as well.
    Best of luck, let me know if I can help.