Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Expedition or Sequoia for towing

MNLavey
    Ok, this is a little off-topic, but I thought what better place to get peoples opinion on tow vehicles!!!
    So, does anyone have an Expedition or Sequoia??? Any gotcha's or thoughts on these for a tow vehicle???
    Thanks!
    Mike

rivercrazy
    I don't know what you towing but I have a Toyota Tundra that has essentially the same motor as the Seq. I tow my 4,000 boat/trailer reguarly. It has more than enough power. The motor is a bit smaller than the domestics so low rpm torque is a bit less. However, the midrange performance is outstanding. I can outpull the 5.3 and 5.4 liter domestic trucks pulling similar weights over grades. All this and my gas milage is about 18 at 80mph and about 12 pulling the boat.
    If you going to pull really heavy loads (6-8,000 pounds) get a Ford or Chevy. The bigger motor will help

gstark
    I've got a 2001 Expedition and it pulls a 5000 lb load mighty fine and gets 11-12 mpg in 110F temp with max A/C and pulling grades (4-6%).
    No complaints - love the vehicle. Make sure you get the 5.4L. I've got 17" rims with a 3.55 posi.

squirts
    Ive pulled my 18 jet with a 2000 Ford , Chevy, Dodge , and we bought the TUNDRA. It is flawless and rides better than some cars Ive been in. Buy the Sequoia you wont be disappointed.

rivercrazy
    Agree with squirts 100%

gstark
    Two words.
    Buy American.
    (no matter how much the content it. Still American companies.)

MNLavey
    GStark,
    Why??? From my drives, the Sequoia is by far the best vehicle... At least for towing 6200#'s or less... And definitely for driving around without a load...

rivercrazy
    Its kind of sad but the big three American truck makers do not manufacture them in the US. They are 100% built in either Mexico or Canada. The Tundra is build and assembled in the good ole USA.....

SUPERCREWJOHN
    MN LAVEY-
    Dont let the specs on those JAP trucks fool you. I current have a F-150 SUPERCREW 4X4 lariat with a 5.4 & 3.73 gears, and I can tow 5000 lbs loads up the 15 going over 60 with little strain on the motor. Besides I do not belive that the Japanese Trucks have a heavy duty transmission cooler to protect the trans which is the week spot on any tow vehicle.
    If you must have an SUV then I would spend the extra $$ and get a Excursion with a Diesel..or a f-250 crewcab with a diesel or v-10..

rivercrazy
    Supercrew you should do your research before talking about the Toyota line of trucks.
    My Tundra came stock with a very sizable trans cooler from the factory. It also will easily pull my 4000 pound plus rig (plus shell and full load of various necessities i.e. Dogs, People, beverages, etc) at well over 60 both on the Cajon grade, Baker grade, or backside of the 40 out of Needles at speeds of 60 or greater. I usually pull all three at between 60-65 and 3,100 to 3,200 rpm. No straining whatsoever (less than 1/3rd throttle in 3rd gear). My water temp gauge never moves and the tranny oil temp never exceeds 200 degrees. No significant change in oil pressure either.
    The domestic trucks I've owned couldn't touch the tow performance of this truck (Chevy 350 and Ford 5.4) with the boat/trailer I have. They also experienced significant rises in water temp and a decline in oil pressure up these grades. Both had factory towing packages that included trans coolers, heavy duty radiators and high rear end axle ratios (3.73 to 4.10).
    I do agree that if your pulling 6,500 pounds and up, go with the 3/4 ton domestic rigs preferably with Diesel powerplants. The foreign trucks can touch the towing capacities of these rigs.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast