Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Mounting???

Dimarco21
    I own a 21' DiMarco daycruiser. I am building new fuel tanks, they will be made out of .093 thick alumimum. The tanks are approx. 12" high 8" wide on the top 4" wide on the bottom and 8' long. The tanks will have 3 to 4 baffles in them for support.
    My question is what would be the best/strongest way to mount them to the sides of my boat? The old tanks are recessed a 1" or 2" below the floor boards for bottom support. How do I mount the front, rear and top of my tanks? Thanks.

GofastRacer
    I glassed in uprights on each end and will bolt on the top at each end, the tanks fit snug in between the uprights!...Hope this helps!..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...03/12Floor.jpg

Itsahobby
    Mine are completely glassed in. I think I have pics of the process, if so I will send them to.
    Jerry

rich
    I glassed in uprights on each end and will bolt on the top at each end, the tanks fit snug in between the uprights!...Hope this helps!..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...03/12Floor.jpg
    you sure do first class work looks great

Dimarco21
    Thanks GofastRacer, I was going to glass in uprights on each end then weld on a alumimum angle onto the tanks and thru bolt it. I am looking for a clean method to bolt the sides (sides facing the motor) to the uprights. Trying to avoid the alumimum angle from sticking out any further than the tanks into the engine compartment. Thanks.
    Mine are completely glassed in. I think I have pics of the process, if so I will send them to.
    Jerry
    Thanks Jerry for the pics.

steveo143
    I glassed in uprights on both ends and bolt to top angle welded to tank. Do not let the wood uprights touch the sides when glassing them in to prevent stress cracks and transfer, just like you would do on bulkhead supports etc.
    steveo143 aka dimarco21 II.

dossangers
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...12Floor.jpgArt looks like you will be cruising awhile with those tanks 50 gals? :rollside:

GofastRacer
    Thanks GofastRacer, I was going to glass in uprights on each end then weld on a alumimum angle onto the tanks and thru bolt it. I am looking for a clean method to bolt the sides (sides facing the motor) to the uprights. Trying to avoid the alumimum angle from sticking out any further than the tanks into the engine compartment. Thanks.
    Thanks Jerry for the pics.
    No angle on mine, I have 1/8" flat welded on the ends that stick up about an inch that will be bolted to the uprights, nice and clean. Also that will keep the tanks from rubbing against the uprights!..

GofastRacer
    Art looks like you will be cruising awhile with those tanks 50 gals? :rollside:
    Not quite 50 Wayne, they're 32 each should be good for 45 minutes at WOT!..

Dimarco21
    I glassed in uprights on both ends and bolt to top angle welded to tank. Do not let the wood uprights touch the sides when glassing them in to prevent stress cracks and transfer, just like you would do on bulkhead supports etc.
    steveo143 aka dimarco21 II.
    Hey Steveo isn't your cruiser about done? You need to bring it up here when your finished for another Delta Lunch Run.
    No angle on mine, I have 1/8" flat welded on the ends that stick up about an inch that will be bolted to the uprights, nice and clean. Also that will keep the tanks from rubbing against the uprights!..
    Thanks GofastRacer, What supports the bottom of your tanks to the bottom of the boat?????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast