Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSD ignition box

W.O.T
    i bought an MSD 6Al ignition box earlier this year that failed on me shortly after. i backed the boat into the water and it wouldnt fire, no spark. i started it up the night before going to the lake no problem. i tested the box and it had no power coming out of it. it never got wet or damaged in any way. i dropped a new 6Al in and its worked great the rest of the season. a few people have told me MSD will repair the box for free. has anyone sent anything like this back to MSD before? i dont think they would repair it if they knew it was used in a marine application.

IMPATIENT 1
    i've fixed alot of msd boxes, they're pretty simple. if they won't fix it for ya, drill out the rivets that hold the back on. check the soldered connections for all the wires that exist the box.i've seen alot of the heavy ground and positive cables have cold solders and crack, they'd work intermittently. there's also alittle fused loop that'll burn in two if theres a short somewhere, look for it next to the big transformer. if its burnt in two, just solder a wire across the land connections to complete the circuits. i've fixed at least 9 boxes and all of them had 1 or the other short.check it out, bet you'll find it quik but let msd do it if they'll warranty it for ya.

wsuwrhr
    Double and triple check your ground wire now and in the future.
    Make sure is is to a GOOD ground as well.
    It ISN'T in a marine application.
    Brian
    i bought an MSD 6Al ignition box earlier this year that failed on me shortly after. i backed the boat into the water and it wouldnt fire, no spark. i started it up the night before going to the lake no problem. i tested the box and it had no power coming out of it. it never got wet or damaged in any way. i dropped a new 6Al in and its worked great the rest of the season. a few people have told me MSD will repair the box for free. has anyone sent anything like this back to MSD before? i dont think they would repair it if they knew it was used in a marine application.

sent back three boxes in the past ten yrs. never been charged but that was before they sold out the company to some conglomerate. Heard that they are still taking care of the units, but there may be a small service charge and you will be charged return freight. of the three I sent back, two they said they repaired, one they swore there was nothing wrong. you can print out a return for repair order off the web site and follow the directions.

W.O.T
    Thanks for the good advice! all wiring in the boat is new, and i tripple checked all grounds and connections etc when this happened. I actually have two msd 6AL boxes. One was fried from water damage when my boat took on lots of water (bowl on pump cracked). It was never submerged just lots of water on the connections killed it. The second one i was referring to i believe truly had a defect. That one i would like to send back. I think ill pop the box open with water damage any try to repair it myself. Thank you

IMPATIENT 1
    Thanks for the good advice! all wiring in the boat is new, and i tripple checked all grounds and connections etc when this happened. I actually have two msd 6AL boxes. One was fried from water damage when my boat took on lots of water (bowl on pump cracked). It was never submerged just lots of water on the connections killed it. The second one i was referring to i believe truly had a defect. That one i would like to send back. I think ill pop the box open with water damage any try to repair it myself. Thank you
    if it got water damaged, the little loop by the transformer i mentioned above will have burned out, just lay wire into the board and complete the circuit again.fixed 3 boxes from water damage this way, they're still runnin around the lakes after some yrs. too.

W.O.T
    if it got water damaged, the little loop by the transformer i mentioned above will have burned out, just lay wire into the board and complete the circuit again.fixed 3 boxes from water damage this way, they're still runnin around the lakes after some yrs. too.
    thanks ill get on it and let you know what happens

fc-pilot
    We sent back a few boxes back to MSD. They would charge us for "Checking them out" and say that they never found anything. Every time that we have got them back they work just fine and any problems we were having seemed to disappear. Funny how that works.
    Paul

Robbie Racer
    I have sent several boxes back to MSD over the years and they have always repaired them for free or at a minimal charge.

We sent back a few boxes back to MSD. They would charge us for "Checking them out" and say that they never found anything. Every time that we have got them back they work just fine and any problems we were having seemed to disappear. Funny how that works.
    Paul
    same thing here, only admitted to one of the three as having a problem, but thats ok with me if they fix em for free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast