Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix a faulty eletrical oil guage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I primed my engine today and the guage was showing way over 80psi. I then unhooked the guage and hooked up a different one and the same thing. I then bought a new sending unit and the same thing. I then switched the wires and the guages goes well past zero. So it goes either way over 80 or way under zero. What the hell is going on here? I ran a mechanical to break the cam in but I think its acting up too. Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,Help,
    [ June 12, 2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT ]

Eric455
    what ever you do done run mech. it wil break under vibratoin and you will loos tht motor. is ur sending unit matching with ur gauge. each gauge reads differnt with different senders. 80+ or 0- does not sund right. check ur grounding. before you start it should read 0 with open key. when you start the motor is shout get pressure. does the gauge read anything below 80 after the oil gets warm?
    eric

Jim Hall
    Mine does the same thing! I have not changed it yet but I heard that there are different sender's
    ie: rated for varying psi. I hve not checked on this yet, need to ask auto parts guy.

Hallett19
    I know guys that run elec on the dash, mech on the block, just in case .....

Eric455
    Hallett19:
    I know guys that run elec on the dash, mech on the block, just in case ..... i had that set up on my olds long time ago "just in case" on the BBC's we really dont need it cuz we always get good oil pressure. lol
    eric

Maxey
    Assuming that the sender and dash unit are compatible: Most electrical dash gauges have three
    terminals. Ignition feed, sender, and GROUND. The
    ground terminal is usually in the center. W/O a
    good ground, the gauge will not work properly. Hope
    this helps.
    Maxey

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I figured out my problem. I had the wrong sending unit. I found out that you cant use an automobile sending unit in a boat! I had to buy one for a marine application which only ran $20. I started it up and she was reading good as new wink I am going to plumb in a mechanical one just for insurance.

1Bahnerjet
    wait a Minute, I have a Mechanical one,(you know Plastic tube) from motor to dash is this Bad? Just asking.
    -------------
    Thats BANNER with an H

Eric455
    1Bahnerjet:
    wait a Minute, I have a Mechanical one,(you know Plastic tube) from motor to dash is this Bad? Just asking.
    -------------
    Thats BANNER with an H no not as bad as a copper tube most people who have them use. plastic should be okay but you get a better reading with an electric. a good investment would be to change to the system to electric. what rwadings are you getting.
    eric

1Bahnerjet
    Most often 70-80, this for 454
    -----------
    Thats BANNER with an H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast