i am really thinking about bumping my compression up. it is at 9.25:1
    what would be a good number to shoot for? heres a few details on my motor
    468bbc
    je forged pistons/crank
    merlin rectangular port heads
    hydraulic roller cam
    tunnel ram 2 750 demon carbs.
    spinning a berk bc impeller
    any recomendations? i would like to run pump gas with an octane booster or maybe half 110 octane. besides changing pistons what else would i need to do? thanks

infotraker
    I'm running 91 octane with a setup close to yours. Solid roller, 10.5 to 1 comp. Top rpm 7K. Rev limiter now set at 6500 to be safe.

Nucking futs
    Im running 10.5
    ;1 with Iron heads no problem, Just take it easy on the timing and watch the temp.
    WOT, you could always just mill the heads to raise your compression. Alot cheaper than pistons, If your not doing a rebuild.

W.O.T
    Im running 10.5
    ;1 with Iron heads no problem, Just take it easy on the timing and watch the temp.
    WOT, you could always just mill the heads to raise your compression. Alot cheaper than pistons, If your not doing a rebuild.
    thanks, i would much rather have the heads milled. the motor has less than a season on it. it would be a shame to ditch the pistons that are in it.

BOOGEYMAN
    We run 11.6 to 1 on an aluminum headed 540 with 91 and no problems for 3 years.

W.O.T
    will a high compression starter be needed for 10.5 to 1?

Nucking futs
    We run 11.6 to 1 on an aluminum headed 540 with 91 and no problems for 3 years.
    Are your pitons coated? Just curious. Whos cam you running?

WannabeRacing
    Sometimes we have to step back and forget what we learned. We learned about compression and pump gas in automobiles. Boats have an unlimited supply of cool water. Keeping the heads and chambers much cooler. That in turn will let more compression without detonation.
    Here goes a wild and unsubstantiated guess- so take it for what it is worth. With everything else left constant, I think you could get away with .5-.75:1 more than you could in an automibile just because of water temp. -again, this figure is a guess. Not yet proven-

Jetaholic
    Then again I see automotive engines all the time coming stock with 9.5:1 compression...my 4.8L 293ci Vortec V8 in my truck has 9.5:1, can run on any grade of gas 87 or better, and it's normal running temp is around 208! Of course, this is obviously a computer controlled fuel injected motor so that probably is what makes this possible...

BOOGEYMAN
    Are your pitons coated? Just curious. Whos cam you running?
    no coating and they are diamond racing pistons with hell fire rings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast