Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING NEWS! Most Important Boating New for '06/'07

dirty old man
    Received a few phone calls and e-mails over the holiday week-end wondering why there hasn't been some talk on the ***boat Forums regarding the newsletter sent out by the National Park Service about the changes coming up at Lake Mead. I think this goes to show that more former forum members than we thought can no longer post here, get their old names or passwords and can't send or receive PM's. Its a shame because a lot of former members had a lot to contribute. Its even more distressing that more of us from Las Vegas, Boulder City and the Lake Mead area haven't been heard from. This is one of the biggest stories for Lake Mead boaters since the Hoover Dam was completed in 1938 and formed our favorite lake. Of course the current low water conditions, exceeded only during the winter of '65/'66 would have caused the current situation from occuring. I boated Lake Mead in the early '60's, but in those days we drove up from So Cal, and mainly boated in Boulder Basin because in those days our boats were between 16 and 21 feet and barely had enough fuel to go through the narrows. Anyway, lets hope some knowledgable, local boater from Lake Mead will come on here and give us the true details of what will be happening between Jan 31 and Mar 1st. This will effect hundreds if not thousands of us. And lets hope ***boat Furums gets their electronic glitches sorted out

GHT
    Received a few phone calls and e-mails over the holiday week-end wondering why there hasn't been some talk on the ***boat Forums regarding the newsletter sent out by the National Park Service about the changes coming up at Lake Mead. I think this goes to show that more former forum members than we thought can no longer post here, get their old names or passwords and can't send or receive PM's. Its a shame because a lot of former members had a lot to contribute. Its even more distressing that more of us from Las Vegas, Boulder City and the Lake Mead area haven't been heard from. This is one of the biggest stories for Lake Mead boaters since the Hoover Dam was completed in 1938 and formed our favorite lake. Of course the current low water conditions, exceeded only during the winter of '65/'66 would have caused the current situation from occuring. I boated Lake Mead in the early '60's, but in those days we drove up from So Cal, and mainly boated in Boulder Basin because in those days our boats were between 16 and 21 feet and barely had enough fuel to go through the narrows. Anyway, lets hope some knowledgable, local boater from Lake Mead will come on here and give us the true details of what will be happening between Jan 31 and Mar 1st. This will effect hundreds if not thousands of us. And lets hope ***boat Furums gets their electronic glitches sorted out
    So, what is the news? Do you have a link to the information your talking about?

rude235
    PLEASE clue us in on what you're referring to!!! i boat almost EXCLUSIVELY on lake mead and haven't heard of anything yet. i have heard different rumores about the overton marine. i've heard they sold out to echo bay marine and will closing/moving. and i've also heard they have a very limited amount of time to move it from the bay that it's in or it will end up landlocked! other than that, i haven't heard anything about mead.

Trailer Park Casanova
    Yeah,, what happened???

purrfecttremor

Baja Big Dog
    We are all waiting to hear the "NEWS" and hopefully you will answer the most important question.
    WHY WOULD YOU POST SOMETHING LIKE THIS AND NOT GIVE THE DETAILS?
    If you need attention than say so, we will all give you a goup hug!!!!:jawdrop:

H20Advantage
    Went directly to their site. No earth shattering news that I can find:
    http://www.nps.gov/archive/lame/home.html

Boatcop
    I believe he's referring to the Lake Mead National Recreation Area Final Management Plan.
    Studies and public comment have been going on since 1969, and produced 4 alternatives for Management of the Park, balancing Preservation, Environment, and Recreation needs.
    The NPS adopted Alternative "C", which is outlined in the below link (PDF required). The provisions of this Plan will be going into effect in the coming year.
    http://www.nps.gov/lame/parkmgmt/upl...p_feis_rod.pdf
    This isn't anything new, since public comment has been going on for the past 6 years or so, and has been discussed in here on several occasions.
    As the name implies, this is the FINAL plan. So if you haven't taken the time to comment in tha past 5 years, there's nothing that can be done now.

Sleek-Jet
    Thanks Allen for the info...
    It would have been nice if the OP would have provided a link.
    Other than the ban on some shore side camping nothing seems to outrageous.

Froggystyle
    I believe he's referring to the Lake Mead National Recreation Area Final Management Plan.
    Studies and public comment have been going on since 1969, and produced 4 alternatives for Management of the Park, balancing Preservation, Environment, and Recreation needs.
    The NPS adopted Alternative "C", which is outlined in the below link (PDF required). The provisions of this Plan will be going into effect in the coming year.
    http://www.nps.gov/lame/parkmgmt/upl...p_feis_rod.pdf
    This isn't anything new, since public comment has been going on for the past 6 years or so, and has been discussed in here on several occasions.
    As the name implies, this is the FINAL plan. So if you haven't taken the time to comment in tha past 5 years, there's nothing that can be done now.
    I fail to see any sky falling in Alt "C". Looks to me like they did away with dirty outboards and restricted Black Canyon... something always suspected.
    Looks like a great compromise to me. We will end up with more water access, better Marinas with a sense that they might be around for more than the life of a lease and some good infrastructure to access north of Boulder Basin.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast