Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What to build?

Duel in the Sun
    I have had jets all my life and I love all the info on boats and motors. I want to build a circle boat and possibly run it in some races. If I run a blown motor does it have to be on alcohol to race? I have some parts to get the projest going but I am not sure if I am building a motor that will compete. I also need a boat. I have a 4 bolt chevy block that is 60 over and a scat crankshaft. I have not baught rods or pistons yet. I have a littlefield 14-71 blower. Any info would be great.

wsuwrhr
    You forgot to say how much so you want to spend? What are you looking to build? Are you planning on building a motor around your blower, or are you planning on selling the blower to help build the project. You left so much out.
    Like Billy said, a K-boat motor will cost 50K to build.
    If you are set on circle racing, I doubt the 14-71 will useful for anything other than K-racing.

wsuwrhr
    I think there are a couple boats available in the spam section that are circle racers.

Duel in the Sun
    50 thousand to build a K motor? Is that right? Not to be an ass but can you break that down for me? I just can't see spending 50k. Is that using an alumium block?

superdave013
    you could run GN with a blown gas engine.

Kindsvater Flat
    Guess you're old and were hooked on this boat.
    http://www.colusanet.com/do-it-yours...ght-boat-1.jpg

wsuwrhr
    I am just repeating what Billy said to you in another thread.
    I have never built a K motor, but I have heard him say that figure a few times.
    Brian
    50 thousand to build a K motor? Is that right? Not to be an ass but can you break that down for me? I just can't see spending 50k. Is that using an alumium block?

wsuwrhr
    Of the few K's I have seen they have all used iron blocks

wsuwrhr
    GN would be able to use a 14-71 SD?
    Brian
    you could run GN with a blown gas engine.

WannabeRacing
    $50K may be a little high for the average, but it has been done before, and could very easily be done again and again.
    Break it down? Real easy
    Merlin Block 3K, machine work 2500, jesel lifters 2800, T&D rockers 2000, spread port heads with ti valves and psi springs 8000, winberg crank 2800, billet m300 rods 1800, wrist pins 890, We are at 25grand and we don't have a blower, fuel pump, manifold, pullys, covers, pistons, rings, oil pan, injector, lines, tune-up, oil pump, dry sump tank, Oh my gosh! The list goes on.
    But could you build a decent blower motor for $15k? Sure.
    Could you build a decent engine that would run a good circle boat at 80 mph and go race with the nostalgia class for 5K? Sure! (Nostalgia is circle racing with 80mph speed limits.)
    I say- get a good circle boat and run a less expensive engine. Just what you have with a few new parts. Find out if you like it. Then if you do, you can get a better engine in the same boat and run quicker and faster. But no need to go broke before you even find out if you like it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast