Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Internet Service

david_396
    Moving to the country. Looking for Internet Service. Anyone have any ideas. SBC is out, too far away. I've been spoiled with Comcast. Looking at Hughesnet?? anything sugestions??? thanxs daivd
    http://www.direc-way.us/Scripts/default.asp

Kindsvater Flat
    I had starband it isn't the greatest. Do some research and see if there are any wireless providers in your area. My wireless is 3 times faster than satellite internet.

lalhc
    Check your coverage area w/Sprint at http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...twideNetwk.jsp
    If you are w/in the Sprint Natiowide PCS Network you can probably get a Sprint Aircard for your high speed internet. You can also purchase a router to go w/it to s/u a WiFi network at your house. I sell both, so if you're interested just PM me.

blown65
    My mom and dad live sorta in the sticks and have Direct Duo. Does both up and down via sat. That being said, its crap. I swear it takes longer to change pages than dialup does at thier house. It does seem faster once a download starts but its really laggy. Kinda click and sit and wait bs. That and its expensive when you figure what you get out of it.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I have had Satelite since spring 2002. Started with Direc-Duo Direct-Way, upgrade to Wild Blue came this past spring. I'll swear it wasn't nearly as slow as blown65 claims, but the lag occurs. No way arround that as you are talking a 50,000 mile round trip from your computer, thru a satelite, to a ground station on the internet. The speed of light is great, but even it has it's limits. Uploads are a lot slowerr than downloads, so it bites if you upload a lot of data (pix, video, or music). That doesn't bother me as I don't upload a lot.
    I seemed to have a lot of modem-lockup trouble early on, but it ironed out with updates and has been negligible with the Wild Blue. Am also happy to have a hardware-firewalled router between my home network and the internet instead of just my machine. My network is much simpler (and I feel more secure) now as opposed to before running Direct-Way USB-connect.
    I do get weather-caused losses, but max about 10 evenings a year total, and that is with all the spring thunderstorms we get in KS here. Once in a while it will not be because of weather at my end, but at the ground recieving station (E coast somewheres). That is rare tho, maybe 2 or 3 evenings a year. Sometimes not for long, just an hour or 2.
    I had no other choice when it went in, and I am still happy with it.

blown65
    Well then our service installer sux cause it is exactly as I claim. Its pathetic. They have been out three times to correct it and cant.

SoCal_fun
    I had DirectWay two sat service for years, started with the old one way service. I have since upgraded to cable modem.
    The two way sat is way way better than any dial up service, if it is all you can get. I did have frequent problems getting my email, and that was frustrating. It isn't cheap to get the dish and installation, unless you can find a deal somewhere.
    I would go with DSL or Cable if possible, if not, go for the Hughesnet.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I looooong ago stopped trying to outlook my e-mail from the free e-mails I was provided by the ISP. 5 accounts sit there, the kids don't even know theirs exist. I haven't tried to pull mail from there in oh ... 3+ years. Sooner or later they'll just delete (or loose) the accounts, which is fine with me.

I hear fast and I hear slow, what are the actual speeds, up and down?
    and are these requested speeds in bits or bytes?
    I moved from Orange county to Parker, the cable here is called "Cheetah", hell, they need to re-name it "Hippo".
    What are the speeds? Please!

Kindsvater Flat
    Starband speed test were usually 400k download and 40k upload. My wireless has been running 2000k download and 2400 upload. Wireless is $50/month with no equipment costs. Starband was $60/month and $600 for equipment and another $200 for installation.
    Just tested again
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2336 kbps (292 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 2115 kbps (264.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast