Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Droop Snoop...does size matter?

tittyman
    How do you correctly size a droop snoop for your boat..length and depth. There are a few to choose from...

LakesOnly
    Exiting diameter of the "droop snoop" is known as the "eye spy" and affects nozzle pressure. So does the shape of the jet pump's intake, known as the "slam ram." That and impeller choice can increase your boats top speed, known as a boater's "speed greed."

Someone more knowledgable in jet pumps may offer a better answer to your question...I'm feeling a bit silly this holiday season.
    LO
    p.s.: It's called a droop snoot, not a snoop.

George Pataki
    T Man:
    It really comes down to a couple variables.
    What is the boat being used for? weight of boat and H.P. also what kind of bowl is curentley on your pump?
    This info will greatly help in determining the best nozzle adapter, Or Droop snoot.

tittyman
    The boat is a Sanger Picklefork Hydro..about 450 HP..Berkley Pump..boat is used for lake pleasure..

T-man...the Goal is to get the nozzle as close to the waters surface as possible, in most cases. Now be it a droop, snoot, or bowl extension, each have there own place, the droops will require a ride plate in most all cases, because you don't want your hardware dragging in the water. Non droop snoots, and bowl extensions, are used on boats with the lower profile intakes, because the pumps is set so low already, a droop would still drag. Some boats just plain don't like the droops, and cause other issues such as bow steer, and general ill handling, these are boats that may benefit from the straight snoot, and or the bowl extensions .

tittyman
    Here is a photo of how the boat is set-up now...T Man...

tittyman
    Second photo..shows the pump better

George Pataki
    T Man
    You've got a real saud after piece there! That was one of the Best Berkeley Droop's.
    Do you have any pictures of the back of the boat showing the height of the nozzle in realation to the bottom?
    The one thing I'd do is put a longer ride plate on for starter's maybe another 2-3" should do.
    How does the boat ride?
    I'll P.M. you ....

Ken F
    T-man,
    With a droop you are bending your water flow twice, and since the transom of your boat is a low one anyway, I wouldn't think that would be the best choice, but I'm sure not an expert, expecially when it comes to a hydro.
    There is a guy on here who goes by JetHydro who has a boat like yours which he has raced for several years. I know Duane at HTP helped him for several years trying to get the boat set up for racing. They both banged their heads against the wall for quite awhile but finally made some pretty significant improvements with it.
    I'd try getting in touch with either of them for advice on your perticular boat.
    It's pretty much a different animal than a normal jet.
    Hope this helps,
    Ken F

Thats a nice example of an original Berkeley droop

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast