Well It appears the the Cam got wiped out! How I can't say for sure at this time. #8 exhaust rocker isn't moving very much...I did all the normal precautions required for a hyd. flat tappet cam break in...and then some. I'll be checking spring pressure tomorrow.(there may be something fishy there). The heads where only thing that was sent to the machine shop. I only ran the motor up to 3000 rpm.
Something I thought of...my original spring set-up only had 1 spring w/ the dampner...when I got the heads back this time...my machine shop added double spring ( a smaller inside one)...I asked him why and if it would pose a breakin issue with the new cam...He stated that no it would not, and he added the second spring so he wouldnt have to shim-up the single spring set-up, and also the seat pressure is about the same as before....BUT what I'm thinking is what if the spring (RATE) increased significantly as the lifter climbed up the lobe? Could it have been just enough to cause a broblem? Still waiting for a friend to come over with a spring tester so we can check it out on the motor...and if there's an issue with what he did...well I guess he'll be ponying up for a new cam and lifters!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I pulled the Intake off and low and behold...the #8 Cam lobe and lifter are in fact wiped out big time, I mean the Cam lobe looks like a rolled over nub! And the bottom of the lifter is concave just over a 1/16" with a very small chip missing from one edge.
So do I belive that the oil filter did its job and took care of any Crank and Bearing damaging debris???? When draining the oil there where (no) metal flakes or chips...but more like a silver type of dust mixed in the oil. Also no metal flake's where to be found in the heads where oil puddles. Oil pressure was solid...hate like hell to yank that motor out after just installing it! Some tell me to put another Cam in and do a run and flush with clean oil and filter several times. Tough call on this one!
[This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited May 12, 2002).]