Thread: Valve springs

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    What is a good spring to run that wont kill the wallet? I noticed the Kmotions and toolroom springs and spendy........

Fiat48
    Budget wise I still use K motion springs. I found the K1000H double gives me good life. Probably better out there but I doubt for the money. Do 11/32 on the valve stems...titanium retainers...keep the thing light. It adds big time to spring life.
    PS: The roller springs that came on a set of Canfields I bought lasted 1/2 a season for the customer. Replaced with K motion and he now has 2 seasons on them. Just tested and they are ok. He turns 7300 in a flat.
    When something works it is damn hard to get me to change.

steelcomp
    Michael, this is one of those areas where you don't want to skimp. If you have to save your pennies for an extra few weeks, then do that, and buy good valve springs. (This is one of those areas that make a true quality engine just a little more expensive) To me, they are by far one of the keys to a good running, long lasting, trouble free engine. KMotion, Isky Gold Stripe, Crower, etc. All are using what's called "super clean" wire and will last longer, and perform better. It's the "buy once, cry once" thing.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    What about those "beehive" springs?

steelcomp
    What about those "beehive" springs?Small block stuff. If you're lifting around .700", you can go with a good 1.550" dia. super clean dual w/dampener spring, 2" installed ht., 220-240 on the seat. Like was said before, use Ti retainers and 11/32" severe duty valves. Also make sure you use good hardened locks, not the cheap ones. I'm running the Isky 9985. The K Motion K950 would work, or the Lunati 74660, or more expensive 74710. Of course, these are just suggestions, and you should refer to the cam mfgr. for recommended specs.