Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems starting

IMPATIENT 1
    Its a 99 Hoe with the 5.7l vortec motor in it. 4x4 Is there anything else you need to know? Also, what does it mean with or without RFI Filter pump?
    THE RFI PUMP "WHINES" ALITTLE LESS AND HAS A RFI FILTER IN LINE TO CUT DOWN ON RFI NOISE IN THE ELECTRONICS,IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH ONE YOU USE. YOU CAN BUY A PRESSURE GAUGE AT AUTOZONE,PEPBOYS,ANY PARTS STORE. I'D CHECK THE PRESSURE OUT BEFORE REPLACIN THE PUMP.TO EXPENSIVE TO GUESS AT.
    WISH I COULD HEAR IT START.DOES IT CRANK SLOW?WHEN IT FINALLY STARTS, DOES IT START MISFIRING AND FINALLY HIT ON ALL 8 AFTER A COUPLE OF SECONDS?

Jetdriver
    THE RFI PUMP "WHINES" ALITTLE LESS AND HAS A RFI FILTER IN LINE TO CUT DOWN ON RFI NOISE IN THE ELECTRONICS,IT DOESN'T MATTER WHICH ONE YOU USE. YOU CAN BUY A PRESSURE GAUGE AT AUTOZONE,PEPBOYS,ANY PARTS STORE. I'D CHECK THE PRESSURE OUT BEFORE REPLACIN THE PUMP.TO EXPENSIVE TO GUESS AT.
    WISH I COULD HEAR IT START.DOES IT CRANK SLOW?WHEN IT FINALLY STARTS, DOES IT START MISFIRING AND FINALLY HIT ON ALL 8 AFTER A COUPLE OF SECONDS?
    It doesnt crank slow at all. It usually cranks and fires immediatly, but lately it cranks over about 10 times and then fires. Its my wifes car so I dont have it with me but I can possibly call you this afternoon when I get home and let you hear it, if that would help. There is no misfire at all, it just cranks way to long before it fires.

Some Kind Of Monster
    I have the same problem on my Moms 99 Blazer. If it does turn out to be the fuel pump, aren't those internal in the gas tank? Or is that just the s-series? Hers cranks for a solid 5-6 seconds before it starts (without misfire) and then runs and restarts fine after that. I was suspeting fuel pump, but I don't know what kind of a job it is to get at it on these vehicles.

Jetdriver
    I have the same problem on my Moms 99 Blazer. If it does turn out to be the fuel pump, aren't those internal in the gas tank? Or is that just the s-series? Hers cranks for a solid 5-6 seconds before it starts (without misfire) and then runs and restarts fine after that. I was suspeting fuel pump, but I don't know what kind of a job it is to get at it on these vehicles.
    That was my other question, where is the fuel pump?

IMPATIENT 1
    HAS IT A HAD A FUEL FILTER LATELY? REMEMBER A FUEL INJECTION MOTOR USES ALOT OF FUEL WHEN STARTING(LIKE OLD SCHOOL CHOKE)AND IF THE FILTER IS CLOGGED THEN IT'LL TAKE A FEW SECONDS TO GET THE FUEL PRESSURE UP ENOUGH TO START RUNNIN.MIGHT CHECK IT OUT.AND YES THE PUMP IS IN THE TANK.

Sleek-Jet
    That was my other question, where is the fuel pump?
    In the tank.

IMPATIENT 1
    It doesnt crank slow at all. It usually cranks and fires immediatly, but lately it cranks over about 10 times and then fires. Its my wifes car so I dont have it with me but I can possibly call you this afternoon when I get home and let you hear it, if that would help. There is no misfire at all, it just cranks way to long before it fires.
    GET A FUEL PRESSURE READING,JETDRIVER.SEEMS LIKE IT MAY BE A FUEL SYSTEM PROBLEM.THE IGNITION SYSTEM WORKS OFF OF THE CRANK SENSOR AND THEY HARDLY EVER FAIL ON THESE TRUCKS.SO IF I HAD IT IN FRT. OF ME HERE IN THE SHOP, I'D BE WATCHIN FUEL PRESSURE AS THE 1ST STEP IN MY DIAGNOSTICS.

Jetdriver
    GET A FUEL PRESSURE READING,JETDRIVER.SEEMS LIKE IT MAY BE A FUEL SYSTEM PROBLEM.THE IGNITION SYSTEM WORKS OFF OF THE CRANK SENSOR AND THEY HARDLY EVER FAIL ON THESE TRUCKS.SO IF I HAD IT IN FRT. OF ME HERE IN THE SHOP, I'D BE WATCHIN FUEL PRESSURE AS THE 1ST STEP IN MY DIAGNOSTICS.
    Got it, Ill look into a guage tonight. I take it, I should be getting an inline gauge?

Some Kind Of Monster
    I checked the fuel filter and I marked the date on it 6 months ago when I replaced it last. I won't do the fuel pump until I know it is the problem but I am curious none the less. How big of a job is it to get at it?

IMPATIENT 1
    I checked the fuel filter and I marked the date on it 6 months ago when I replaced it last. I won't do the fuel pump until I know it is the problem but I am curious none the less. How big of a job is it to get at it?
    KINDA OF A BITCH ON A BLAZER WITH THE TANK IN FRT. OF THE AXLE.THE ONES THAT HAD A REAR TANK WERE EASY.YEA IF YA CHANGED THE FILTER 6MNTHS AGO ,I'D DOUBT IT NEEDS ONE.I HAVE A LIFT TO DO TANKS ON,SO I CAN DO IT IN LESS THAN A HR..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast