Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems starting

IMPATIENT 1
    Got it, Ill look into a guage tonight. I take it, I should be getting an inline gauge?
    IF YOU GO TO A PARTS STORE AND BUY ONE, TELL THEM THAT YOUR CHECKING YOUR FUEL PRESSURE ON A GM.MOST FUEL PRESSURE TEST KITS START OUT WITH A GM FITTING, THEN YOU ADAPT TO FORDS,DODGE,FROM THERE.IF YOUR CLOSE TO A AUTOZONE THEN YOU CAN RENT ONE FROM THEM INSTEAD OF BUYIN ONE.KIT WILL COST @25-40 BUCKS.RENTIN IT WILL BE IN THE 5-10BUCK RANGE.

Some Kind Of Monster
    KINDA OF A BITCH ON A BLAZER WITH THE TANK IN FRT. OF THE AXLE.THE ONES THAT HAD A REAR TANK WERE EASY.YEA IF YA CHANGED THE FILTER 6MNTHS AGO ,I'D DOUBT IT NEEDS ONE.I HAVE A LIFT TO DO TANKS ON,SO I CAN DO IT IN LESS THAN A HR..
    Too bad you're 3 states away
    Road trip!
    Seriously I'm going to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what i'm getting too. I'll just "borrow" one from the boat.

Jetdriver
    IF YOU GO TO A PARTS STORE AND BUY ONE, TELL THEM THAT YOUR CHECKING YOUR FUEL PRESSURE ON A GM.MOST FUEL PRESSURE TEST KITS START OUT WITH A GM FITTING, THEN YOU ADAPT TO FORDS,DODGE,FROM THERE.IF YOUR CLOSE TO A AUTOZONE THEN YOU CAN RENT ONE FROM THEM INSTEAD OF BUYIN ONE.KIT WILL COST @25-40 BUCKS.RENTIN IT WILL BE IN THE 5-10BUCK RANGE.
    OK Perfect. Thank you for the help. Ill get a gauge and report back with my findings.
    Shawn

Jetdriver
    Does my system have a schrader valve or not??? Looking for a test kit just want to make sure I get the right one.

blowngas
    I found that chevys have a peculiar problem on starting----I think it's something to do with the computer----if it won't start on the first two revolutions, I shut the key off and restart it again----the second time it will start on the first revolution----still have the original starter on one with it being 12 years old and 275 thousand on it-----worst problem is the damn electric shift transmissions and converters-----first one went 160 thousand, and the rebuilds won't last work a damn-----can't get 50 thousand on them----with 3 different rebuilders----and I just thought my 66 SS was the best vechicle I ever owned!!!

IMPATIENT 1
    Does my system have a schrader valve or not??? Looking for a test kit just want to make sure I get the right one.
    YES THE SERVICE TEST PORT HAS A INTERNAL SHRADER VALVE

CARLSON-JET
    I was having a similair problem with a aerostar van. seemed to not like boat launches very much. almost left me stuck 2 times. wrote it off as a "I'll get around to it when it's convienant" type of thing. Then it happened. Fri night I'm with a bunch of ***boaters at a get-together on the mississipi 4 hours from home. I pull into the launch parking lot back her into a stall and shut her down. I go meet with the guys to say hello then go back to move said vehicle. No-GO. I cranked that piece of crap till the cows came home and then some more. The smell finally told me it had enough. I checked fuses, relays,tried starting fluid, the whole nine yards. having a bunch of gearheads at one place is a reassuring feeling and a ford tech guy never hurts. Diagnosis "Fuel pump", We all aggreed. Craig-U Drove me around to gather needed parts and some extras. We get back, I drain the tank, drop it down, install new pump. Just for kicks we gave it a quik test to be sure it was the pump before putting the tank back in place. No-Go. Rats.. Not a good feeling. This is at 10 am Sat just when everybody wanted to launch and begin the day. We all scratch our heads a little then begin the chase. I do a voltage check to the outer connection on the sending unit. Good voltage, Then check the pump, working. I started really looking closely at the inside of the sending unit at the tabs the conectors for the pump clip to. CONCLUSION: The ground side seemed to have a small amount of heat build up. A quik check revealed that the rivet holding it in place had come loose and was not making a good connection. I few doinks with a punch set things right. With a good connection The pump works and all is good. put it back together and it has been great since. Lesson learnedagain) Sometimes the obviuos is not so obvious and throwing parts at a problem is NOT the solution. Correct thorough diagnosis (on my part) would have saved me and the guys 2-4 hours, $150 and some serious frustration. ( not to mention the being "That guy" factor. To the Jetters who helped, I want to again thank you. R.B.

Jetdriver
    YES THE SERVICE TEST PORT HAS A INTERNAL SHRADER VALVE
    OK thanks!

CARLSON-JET
    After I typed all that, I forgot to add that when I got home the starter never again worked. Another $100. So getting this fixed soon might help other parts not get ruined. Don't get mad, get fixed. :cry: R.B.

IMPATIENT 1
    I was having a similair problem with a aerostar van. seemed to not like boat launches very much. almost left me stuck 2 times. wrote it off as a "I'll get around to it when it's convienant" type of thing. Then it happened. Fri night I'm with a bunch of ***boaters at a get-together on the mississipi 4 hours from home. I pull into the launch parking lot back her into a stall and shut her down. I go meet with the guys to say hello then go back to move said vehicle. No-GO. I cranked that piece of crap till the cows came home and then some more. The smell finally told me it had enough. I checked fuses, relays,tried starting fluid, the whole nine yards. having a bunch of gearheads at one place is a reassuring feeling and a ford tech guy never hurts. Diagnosis "Fuel pump", We all aggreed. Craig-U Drove me around to gather needed parts and some extras. We get back, I drain the tank, drop it down, install new pump. Just for kicks we gave it a quik test to be sure it was the pump before putting the tank back in place. No-Go. Rats.. Not a good feeling. This is at 10 am Sat just when everybody wanted to launch and begin the day. We all scratch our heads a little then begin the chase. I do a voltage check to the outer connection on the sending unit. Good voltage, Then check the pump, working. I started really looking closely at the inside of the sending unit at the tabs the conectors for the pump clip to. CONCLUSION: The ground side seemed to have a small amount of heat build up. A quik check revealed that the rivet holding it in place had come loose and was not making a good connection. I few doinks with a punch set things right. With a good connection The pump works and all is good. put it back together and it has been great since. Lesson learnedagain) Sometimes the obviuos is not so obvious and throwing parts at a problem is NOT the solution. Correct thorough diagnosis (on my part) would have saved me and the guys 2-4 hours, $150 and some serious frustration. ( not to mention the being "That guy" factor. To the Jetters who helped, I want to again thank you. R.B.
    BEEN THERE TOO C-JET,IT SUX DON'T IT.I'M A TECH AND I HATE HAVIN TO WORK ON MY OWN STUFF!DOESN'T PAY ME ,JUST COST ME DOUGH!I'VE GOT A 93 FULL SIZE BLAZER THAT'S BEEN MY BOAT HAULER FOR THE PAST 3YRS AND HAS MADE ME WALK A FEW TIMES IN THAT PERIOD.THIS YR. I WANTED TO TRAVEL ALITTLE TO MEET SOME OF THE GUYS FROM HERE SO I BOUGHT A NEW 06 4DR 1500 TRUCK. AT LEAST IF IT NEEDS WORK ,I GET PAID TO WORK ON IT!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast