Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Problems starting

Jetdriver
    OK last night was looking at this thing, I cant find a test port. Where is it located???

Wally_Gator
    Jet driver and SKOM...
    2001 Chevy truck and a 03 Hoe...
    My truck had a fuel pump start to go bad and here is the following way I diagnosed it...
    Before testing it with the fuel guage... I was able to let the truck sit and everytime I tried to start it after sitting it was hard to start.
    If I ran it and shut it off it would start right back up...
    If I would turn the key to on (not to start) wait a couple of seconds, turn the key off and repeat. Then try starting the vehicle it should run fine.
    What this proceedure does is builds the pressure in the lines back up...
    If this works the way I wrote it I can almost guarantee you your pump is on its way out..
    If that is the case.. When you hook the guage up to the fuel rail, running you will see right around 60 psi.. Shut the vehicle off and watch the guage. If the guage slowly falls to zero your fuel pump is faulty..

Jetdriver
    Jet driver and SKOM...
    2001 Chevy truck and a 03 Hoe...
    My truck had a fuel pump start to go bad and here is the following way I diagnosed it...
    Before testing it with the fuel guage... I was able to let the truck sit and everytime I tried to start it after sitting it was hard to start.
    If I ran it and shut it off it would start right back up...
    If I would turn the key to on (not to start) wait a couple of seconds, turn the key off and repeat. Then try starting the vehicle it should run fine.
    What this proceedure does is builds the pressure in the lines back up...
    If this works the way I wrote it I can almost guarantee you your pump is on its way out..
    If that is the case.. When you hook the guage up to the fuel rail, running you will see right around 60 psi.. Shut the vehicle off and watch the guage. If the guage slowly falls to zero your fuel pump is faulty..
    Thanks Wally, Ill be getting my pressure gauge today, after I pick my son up from school. Thanks again to everyone with the help. Ill let you guys know what I find out probably later tonight. If it is the fuel pump, how hard is it to change out? Do I have to drain the fuel tank? s

IMPATIENT 1
    Thanks Wally, Ill be getting my pressure gauge today, after I pick my son up from school. Thanks again to everyone with the help. Ill let you guys know what I find out probably later tonight. If it is the fuel pump, how hard is it to change out? Do I have to drain the fuel tank? s
    IT'S GRAVY JETDRIVER, YOU'LL NEED A 15MM TO REMOVE STRAPS(SOME HAD A SHIELD WITH 13MM BOLTS IN IT COVERIN TANK)
    FLOOR JACK,FORD FUEL LINE DISCONNECT TOOL(EVEN THOUGH ITS A CHEBY)
    REMOVE THE RUBBER HOSE FROM THE FILL NECK AND VENT HOSE
    AND I THINK THAT YR MODEL HAD A BIG SNAP RING HOLDIN THE FUEL MODULE DOWN IN THE TANK.
    FOR A BEGINNER PLAN ON IT TAKIN @2HRS TO DO.GO AHEAD AND PUT ON A NEW FILTER,IF THE PUMP IS DAMAGED THE PLASTIC PIECES FROM THE IMPELLOR WILL END UP IN THE FILTER.

IMPATIENT 1
    And As Long As The Tank Isn't Above 3/4 I Wouldn't Drain It.just Get A Friend To Help Balance It On The Jack.if Your Doing This On The Ground,get A Buddy To Help!!!!!!!!for Your Own Safety!

Jetdriver
    OK heres the results. I just checked the fuel pressure. When you turn the key on the gauge jumps on up to 60psi then immediatly falls to 0. Turn the key off and turn it back on, it jumps to 60 and then falls to about 15psi. So with this info what do you guys think??? PUMP?!?!?!?!

Wally_Gator
    OK heres the results. I just checked the fuel pressure. When you turn the key on the gauge jumps on up to 60psi then immediatly falls to 0. Turn the key off and turn it back on, it jumps to 60 and then falls to about 15psi. So with this info what do you guys think??? PUMP?!?!?!?!
    ABSOLUTLY the PUMP!...
    When you turn the key to on the ECU commands the fuel pump to run for 3-5 seconds I am not sure. During cranking the pump does not run. There has to be enough pressure in the lines to support the start. Your fuel pump is bleeding pressure back into the tank and is the first sign of its impending demise..
    Mine did the exact same thing and I had it replaced under warranty.

Jetdriver
    ABSOLUTLY the PUMP!...
    When you turn the key to on the ECU commands the fuel pump to run for 3-5 seconds I am not sure. During cranking the pump does not run. There has to be enough pressure in the lines to support the start. Your fuel pump is bleeding pressure back into the tank and is the first sign of its impending demise..
    Mine did the exact same thing and I had it replaced under warranty.
    OK looks like Sunday Ill be changing my fuel pump. Thanks everyone for all the help. Ill be back when Im done with results.
    Thanks again
    Shawn

MikeF
    The check valve (that holds pressure in the line) is failing in the fuel pump.
    You crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank,crank, and it finally builds up enough pressure to open/flow through the injectors....and then the engine starts. :rollside:

Wet Dream
    The way you described the symptoms pointed to a fuel pump right off the bat.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast