Thread: Questions about heads

woodster
    I have a 410HP 502 indmar motor in my boat right now.. Do u think it would be worth it to go with some aftermarket heads such as AFR's or merlins?Im still deciding on building a motor or doing mods to the motor i have. Im also replacing the risers with lightning headers and maybe doing MSD ignition as well. Would just changing heads and cam give me a significant HP increase? Say 100-150Hp or is that unreasonable?

HBjet
    Changing the heads and Cam will give you a very big increase in HP as long as you get the best cam for the head your running. Also, when changing the cam, you will want to run the right valve spring, and so on.
    If you are going to throw down some money for aftermarket heads, pass on all of the other MFG's and just go with the AFR's, they are the best head out there in my opinion. Now, when you change all of that, you might as well put on an intake and the right sized carb so you can deliver the air that's needed to really get your moneys worth out of those heads. Good Luck!
    HBjet

Hotcrusader76
    Woodster,
    aka"Propless" runs a Indmar motor here on the boards with a similar size boat as yours and if I remember correctly he did some work to it as well.
    I did a carb set-up for him last year but I wasn't able to find his engine specs.
    Do a search and e-mail him. He's quite thrilled with the motor and that 750DP.
    ~Ty

woodster
    Thanks TY..Ill email him. If i were to change heads and cam what do you charge to redo my carb?I noticed u live in santee.. Im in lakeside.. Anybody else have any opinions?Maybe Infomainiac?Thanks
    [ May 22, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: woodster ]

wfodude
    I use brodix on my alky motor and love them.no problems and a company that has been around a long time.I have used their heads on small blocks as well with equally pleasing reslults just my .02

Infomaniac
    I like the Dart Pro 1 heads. Have not tried the AFR heads. Might some day when I hear awesome things about them from someone other than AFR or do it yourself guys. Mainly hearing from someone that has the bucks to have tried all of them. Someone that does not sell them.

HammerDown
    Rumor has it that the (Dart Pro-1's) out of the box are the Cat's Ass....

burbanite
    HammerDown:
    the Cat's Ass.... Holy hell, I found someone who knows what that means...
    Oh no, that means bad right and Dogs Bollocks is good, right?
    [ May 23, 2003, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: burbanite ]