Thread: ford carb Q about smog....

YeLLowBoaT
    so i just picked up a very nice 84 branco with a 351w with a 2 bbl. I was wondering if I could swap out it for a factoy 4bbl form the same make and model and still have it meet smog? ( CA smog)

73beast
    If there was a four barrel offered on that motor that year as an option,you can make the swap and still be smog legal.

YeLLowBoaT
    yeah about 30% of of them that year came with a 4bbl. ~25% came with a 351w 2 bbl and about 50% came with a 302 and a 2 bbl

YeLLowBoaT
    GRRRRRRRRRRRR just found out that the 4 bbl is 49 state legal.... the 2 bbl was the only one legal for CA :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

GUGS102
    I've got a ford aluminum 4 bbl manifold with EGR passages from an 84 mustang? will that work for you?
    BTW - Keep all the CA crap over there, we don't need the smog nazis here in AZ

YeLLowBoaT
    I've got a ford aluminum 4 bbl manifold with EGR passages from an 84 mustang? will that work for you?
    I don't think a 302 man will fit a 351w.....guess what the smog nazis are coming to get--EVERYONE!!! its just a matter of time.

GUGS102
    sorry, I thought it was a 302. Nevermind I'll try hooked on phonics so I can read better :cry:

LakesOnly
    GRRRRRRRRRRRR just found out that the 4 bbl is 49 state legal.... the 2 bbl was the only one legal for CA :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:So smog the vehicle Saturday and install the 4-bbl intake on Sunday; you won't have to worry about the re-swap for 23 months.
    LO

GRRRRRRRRRRRR just found out that the 4 bbl is 49 state legal.... the 2 bbl was the only one legal for CA :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Then the important question is, "Does the emissions label under the hood(if there is one), state that the vehicle in question was produced to meet California emissions or Federal emissions standards?"
    As far as doing a "legal" swap, keep in mind that you need to swap ALL the related emissions equipment. You can't just buy a manifold and carb, swap it on and call it done.
    Lakes Only's idea is simple way to do it. Just make sure you store everything in a safe place so it's there 2 years from now when you have to put it back on.

Keep in mind that we have "smog nazi's" here in California as a result of FEDERAL mandate, not necessarily our own choice, although we do have cleaner air than we did 30 years ago. If and when the population of Arizona grows and air pollution increases above Federally acceptable levels, you, too will have to deal with stricter controls and regular testing.