Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impeller shaft lubrication ?

Alien
    I'm running in shallow silty river water most of the time.
    How do you lubricate the rear bowl glacier bearing ?
    I've heard to just remove the seal and rear cap and let it water lubricate. Seems, every time I take the bowl off the seal is ruined anyway.
    _______

Cheyenne580
    What Brand of pump?

Alien
    Ones an Aggressor bowl, the other is a Berkeley bowl.
    I didn't thing the type of bowl would make a difference ?

SmokinLowriderSS
    My berk runs GL-5, 85W-90 wt, original design.
    At least some agressors are designed to run bearing grease, and have a zerk in the nozzle area for injecting it.

jungledave
    My berk runs GL-5, 85W-90 wt, original design.
    At least some agressors are designed to run bearing grease, and have a zerk in the nozzle area for injecting it.
    One of the berkley teardown downloads Isaw suggested replacing the bowl filler plugs with grease zerts and using grease instead of gear lube. I am no expert but this makes sense.

One of the berkley teardown downloads Isaw suggested replacing the bowl filler plugs with grease zerts and using grease instead of gear lube. I am no expert but this makes sense.
    I think you will find that info in the American Turbine Berkeley JG/Overhaul Manual, as an alternative method of lubrication.

jungledave
    I think you will find that info in the American Turbine Berkeley JG/Overhaul Manual, as an alternative method of lubrication.Yea I bet that is where I seen it. I ruined both of the plastic plugs on my berkley and the only thing I had to put in was zerts after filling. About two weeks later I found out about the grease zert Idea and it worked out well since all my gear lube ran out the seal behind the impellar wich I get to replace in a couple of weeks. Know of anyone looking for a 76 sleekcraft?

RICHARD TILL
    Alien, like yourself every time the seal was ruined so for the last 15 years i`ve just left it out. i let the water take care of it and dont start it on the trailer.

Alien
    I've let mine be water lubricated for quite awhile and it seems to work OK.
    But, now I have a boat that runs in very shallow water and I'm exploring a lot more skinny back water. So the excess sand and silt wears a lot sooner on the shaft, bearing and wear ring. I guess I need to go with an Aggressor type set-up. With grease I'll probably need a snap-ring to hold the seal in place.
    I run a sand filter as soon as the water get inside the boat, but it dosen't do any thing for the pump.
    Was just wondering what everyone else was doing . . . . :idea:
    ______

Alien, like yourself every time the seal was ruined so for the last 15 years i`ve just left it out. i let the water take care of it and dont start it on the trailer.
    Thats fine if you live in a mild climate, Dominator bowl's have the water lubed tail shaft. The Problem with Berkeley bowls, there is a oil resivior in the bowl, if it fills with water, and it was to freeze, you'll have bigger problems on your hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast