Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Cal, I am looking for restraunt w/dock

Dkahnjob
    I am looking for some restraunts with docks that I can go to by boat, Marina Del Rey, King Harbor, Ventrua/Oxnard, San Pedro, Long Beach. So far I haven't found any boat up restraunts. Anybody know of some, I would appreciate any tips.
    Thanks,
    David

ToMorrow44
    The only ones that I know of are in Long Beach called Shoreline Village. I can't speak for the rest because I don't know about them, but I do know that Shoreline village has several restaraunts and usually you can find a place to park unless its a really busy weekend. Heres their website:
    http://www.shorelinevillage.com/
    -Tom

pixrthis
    Ventura is easy, call harbor master on ch 16 and he'll tell what dock to tie up at.
    Oxnard has a couple places with docks that are first come first serve.
    Santa Barbara is pretty easy.
    Long Beach has places in the marina about half way to Marine Stadium from harbor mouth.
    I've found a few favorites by cruising the harbors.

Dkahnjob
    Tom and pixrthis thank you for the tips. It looks like I am going to be blown out today by the winds, so I will put it off until next week end, and hopefully the weather will co-operate.
    This message board sure is a great resource.
    Thanks again,
    David

u4ea32
    I take my Fountain 32 sportfish cruiser out almost exclusively off So Cal, running about 150 hours per year.
    The restaurants I go to include:
    Armstrong's in Avalon -- not on a dock, but pick up a mooring, ride the shore boat, and enjoy a great meal. There are other very good restaurants too, but Armstrong's is the best.
    Schooner or Later in Long Beach Marina, Alamitos Bay, next to Stan Miller Boats. There is a small guest dock that says something like "nothing over 16 feet" but I go in there, and you will fit too.
    Captain Jack's in Sunset Beach. Founded by Jack Halley (father of the ex-Chicago Bull and current Laker announcer), still family owned and operated. Guest dock about 100 feet long. Fairly shallow, do not try and go under the bridge at very very low tide, OK otherwise. Great steak and lobster place. Its on Pacific Coast Highway, you get there via Huntington Harbour. Type their address into maps.google.com and you'll see where they are and how to wiggle through the channels: 16812 Pacific Coast Hwy, Sunset Beach, CA
    Dana Point has some restaurants. You can tie up at a guest dock next to the launch ramp and walk to at least 4, three are very close but casual, another is about a block away, overlooking the marina, is pretty good.
    Ventura Harbor has a guest dock, as does Santa Barbara. There are a few restaurants very close by. I think at Santa Barbara I need to call the harbor master to get a slip, I don't remember (2 years ago).
    Channel Islands / Oxnard has restaurants with guest slips. One set of restaurants is close to the launch ramp. Another set of restaurants is across the harbor. Whale's Tail is, I think, the best.
    Shoreline village has been mentioned, several good ones there.
    Two Harbors at Catalina has the "Reef" which is fun, and the food is OK, but not great.
    Newport Harbor has several good places, but its hard to find a dock unless you are a yacht club member. I recommend you join a club. I am a member of Waikiki Yacht Club -- best and cheapest drinks near Honolulu. Hawaii Yacht Club is fun too. Kaneohe Yacht Club has even cheaper drinks and a great lawn. Join any yacht club that other people want to visit. Everyone wants to visit Waikiki Yacht Club, so almost every yacht club extends "reciprocal rights" where you can visit and use their facilities somewhat. Bogus yacht clubs like Lahaina Yacht Club won't get you in anywhere, and not-so-attractive yacht clubs (South Central Yacht Club?) probably won't get you in anywhere either.
    But once you are in, you are in. Newport Harbor, Balboa, and Bahia Corinthian Yacht Clubs all have nice bars and dining rooms, and are very nice places to hang out. Also, you can go to Josh Slocum's restaurant (2601 W Coast Hwy, Newport Beach, CA) on PCH by tying up at South Shore Yacht Club.
    In San Diego, your yacht club membership will probably get you in to San Diego Yacht Club, one of the finest clubs in California.
    In Marina Del Rey, you probably already know about all the places and clubs there, including Cal Yacht Club.

Quality Time
    Parking in Long Beach is limited as is Newport. Go into Alamitos Bay, between Long Beach and Huntington. There you will find plenty of dock parking next to Tantelum's and Acapoulcos (sp?).

Dkahnjob
    Thanks for all of the good info, U4ea32 and Quality Time. I am printing this, should keep me busy for months.
    Tell me more about the yacht club thing. When I cruised around Marina Del Rey I saw a lot of yacht clubs, didn't try to go to any since I have no affaliation with any of them. Is there some kind of reciprocal agreement?
    Thanks again for the info.
    Dave

u4ea32
    Thanks for all of the good info, U4ea32 and Quality Time. I am printing this, should keep me busy for months.
    Tell me more about the yacht club thing. When I cruised around Marina Del Rey I saw a lot of yacht clubs, didn't try to go to any since I have no affaliation with any of them. Is there some kind of reciprocal agreement?
    Thanks again for the info.
    Dave
    If you are a member of most major yacht clubs, you can visit other clubs. I generally call ahead, and can make reservations to stay at the dock, have dinner, etc. You generally need to have your insurance documentation to show you've got 300K or 1M coverage, so I laminate mine. I know, I know...

Dkahnjob
    If you are a member of most major yacht clubs, you can visit other clubs. I generally call ahead, and can make reservations to stay at the dock, have dinner, etc. You generally need to have your insurance documentation to show you've got 300K or 1M coverage, so I laminate mine. I know, I know...
    Is joining a Yacht club just a paper shuffle or do you really go to meetings and go through a whole big deal to become an official member? What clubs are recomended?
    Thanks,
    David

Quality Time
    Yacht clubs are typically not very receptive to people with our types of boats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast