Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Cal, I am looking for restraunt w/dock

u4ea32
    Its a little bit of a paper shuffle, but not much.
    And you can attend meetings, but most people don't. The meetings usually have to do with the actual operation of the club as a business concern.
    In general, you need to be nominated by a member. But most clubs want more members, so its not really a big deal. If there are no people you like there, you don't want to be a member.
    I won a life membership in a yacht club by setting the elapsed time record in their big deal annual race. That's one way to do it.
    In other clubs, I will attend some party at the bar, and express some interest, and you can get all the paperwork signed and accepted in a few minutes, assuming again there are people you know.
    All clubs are quite open about their social calendar. All seem to be happy to show you around if you show interest.
    In late April, there is a sailboat race to Ensenada that starts off the Newport Harbor jetty. Its the last friday of April usually.
    http://www.nosa.org/
    The Thursday before the race, there are big raft parties at all the clubs in Newport for sure. Easy to pull up, go in, meet people. Lots of powerboat people, its not just sail boat people. On Friday, several hundred boats head off to Ensenada. Dozens of powerboats, hundreds of sailboats. We are intending to do it this year, my boss usually takes his 48 foot cruiser down.
    A couple of years ago we stopped at San Diego Yacht Club instead of going all the way to Ensenada. Club was in a welcoming mood, lots of fun, stayed the night in a slip, used the YC showers in the mornings, had a great brunch, then headed home. Good to leave early, as the wind comes up, and the chop builds during the day on the way back to LA.
    Any time there is an open door, mention you'd like to explore becoming a member. Any time there is a party, meet people, if you like them, great!
    If you ever get to Hawaii, those yacht clubs are quite social, and they have good membership programs (cheap!) for non-residents like me. Party, join, you'll probably save the dues on the cheaper bar bill before you head home. That's how I justify it.
    My club is Waikiki Yacht Club. Many people who are members and/or visitors of lots of high end clubs claim its the best in the world. I like it.
    To join Waikiki or Hawaii YCs when on Oahu, I tell everyone to do this: show up at the WYC or HYC docks on Friday at 4:45 with a six pack, hop on one of the sail boats that are going out for the Friday Night Race, and have a damn good time. Doesn't matter if you know how to sail, just matters if you know how to have fun. Enjoy the Aloha.

u4ea32
    Yacht clubs are typically not very receptive to people with our types of boats
    I've owned all kinds of boats, its not a problem.
    Most of the people that are actually at a yacht club at any given time are those people who really love fooling around in boats. Just like everyone on this board!

Dkahnjob
    Thank you for all of the good info. I am hoping to make a trip over to Avalon this Saturday if the weather is good. I will be leaving from Marina Del Rey, I will look around when I return.
    Thanks again.
    David

u4ea32
    I won't be going out this weekend due to:
    LA Boat Show (Sat)
    Superbowl (Sun)
    ... and my boat is at Pfaff's being re-wired.

Dkahnjob
    I won't be going out this weekend due to:
    LA Boat Show (Sat)
    Superbowl (Sun)
    ... and my boat is at Pfaff's being re-wired.
    I think I will be going to the boat show on Next Thursday, less crowds to deal with than a week end.
    Take care,
    Dave

u4ea32
    In "Hot Spots West" section.
    ??Whatta think??

Dkahnjob
    In "Hot Spots West" section.
    ??Whatta think??
    That sounds like too big of a step for me in a new boat. I think I will get to know my machine a little better with some smaller local trips like Catalina tomorrow, and up and down the local coast.
    Let me know if there is something not quites so big, I would love to participate.
    David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12