Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Viper V-10

502procharger
    turbines really are amazing. it is true about the fuel issue but my quad 2.5 efi chris cat uses as much or more fuel per hr at wot. the t53 will use 83 gph at wot and much, much less at idle. i buy and sell t53's and other turbines from all over. i only buy and sell a dozen or so a year because i just do it as a hobby but i heve learned enough about them to know what i am getting into when i check them over and buy them. there is a lot of "junk"out there so be carefull. the allison t63 is a great small light turbine use in a lot of first turbine boat projects. the t58 or gnome 1200 is a good turbine for a boat but a lot has to be done to marine ready that turbine, and it has no built in gear box. the t53 has a built in gear box with an output shaft speed between 6300 rpms. there are a bunch of t53's out there from a 1a at 860hp to a -13 at 1350hp( that is what i use) again be carefull there was a guy on thes boards that went by the name of "gas turbine" that said he had a 1350hp t53 from the 70's and my buddy ended up with it and it was a -5a 860hp unit. expect to pay 4k-6k for anything below a -11, 7k - 10k for a -11 and 10k - 20k for a -13. keep in mind these things run a cool 500k or better bran new.

carreraboat
    so do you have one in a boat yet i would like to see some more of them in boats i saw the carrera that has a nice set up but no one has posted anything else about it what drive do you use?

502procharger
    I do not have them in a hull as of yet. I have the turbines and they have been gone through tested and run. I have custom-made bell housings and brake set ups built. I have 17" on center drop boxes that are being fitted to the bell housings as well as mounts to be fitted to the stringers. I have a bunch of other necessary misc parts and I am collecting more every day. I am going to be using #6 drives. This project is just costing me a pile of cash so i am doing it piece by piece. The hull i originally had planned to use a 30'chris cat that I bought got used for another project, i ended up putting 4 2.5 efi's on it. Right now am trying to work a deal with a guy for a 1987 32 skater with no power. It has #5 drives but i really don’t think they will hold up so i am trying to get him to sell me the hull without them. I will keep you all posted on my progress. I helped a buddy of mine rig a single t53-11 in a 28 cat so I do have a fair amount of experience getting everything set up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123