Thread: testing guages

kmcousins
    I wanted to know if the is a way to test gauges all of them without being connected to a motor? :idea:

YeLLowBoaT
    well for eletornic guages other then a tach. you can ground out the sending unit ( or wire) the guage should peg. when you remove the ground it should go back down to zero.

BigBlockBaja
    Or ya could be slick and goto radio shack and get some pot meters that are in the range of your guages and make up a test box. That would be one of those, "dont use it often, but sure comes in handy" tools.

kmcousins
    thanks guys that will help

BigBlockBaja
    thanks guys that will help
    If ya go with the test box idea, let us know how ya built it, and your results. If ya dont mind.

robk
    If ya go with the test box idea, let us know how ya built it, and your results. If ya dont mind.
    That's a good idea -- use a power supply for 12 VDC+ and GND, and then connects pots for the appropriate ranges for each gauge with one side to a terminal for the sender wire to connect to. Should be able to get a full sweep on the gauges that way.
    Rob

BigBlockBaja
    That's a good idea -- use a power supply for 12 VDC+ and GND, and then connects pots for the appropriate ranges for each gauge with one side to a terminal for the sender wire to connect to. Should be able to get a full sweep on the gauges that way.
    Rob
    Yes, that was My idea... Maybe also use some bannana plugs and a test box from radio shack. I imagine all this could be done for under 20 bucks.

YeLLowBoaT
    Yes, that was My idea... Maybe also use some bannana plugs and a test box from radio shack. I imagine all this could be done for under 20 bucks.
    When was the last time you were in a radioshack????? 20 bucks might buy a few feet of speaker cable....

robk
    You have an awesome idea, for sure. That is something that would definitely come in handy... Do the Radio Shacks in your area still carry all the component/project stuff? Seems like out here they're dropping all of that in favor of cheesy plastic R/C toys and cell phone accessories Luckily I've got an Orvac right down the street that has a huge surplus of electronic parts and connectors and project boxes, etc.
    I'll send you schematics if I make one, I'm running out of projects for the boat.

BigBlockBaja
    When was the last time you were in a radioshack????? 20 bucks might buy a few feet of speaker cable....
    True, radio shack did goto hell...
    I bought some things here when I did a TPI swap on my old truck.. Lots of electrical things here.
    Digi Key (http://www.digikey.com/)