Thread: alcohol vs gas?

Smitty19
    I've got a 19' daytona jet with a blown 555 8.6 compresion with a 14-71 made a 1040 with a 10 before the 14 runs 110 plus mph,600lb hul was told I could go to alcohol without changing comprestion knowing it takes twice the fuel how much more power could I expect? How much of a hassle is the whole clean the fuel lines mantainance ect?. it not a trailer queen I drive it
    any feed back would be a help.

DEL51
    infomaniac or fiat 48 have some exp with these.are you running injection?

Fiat48
    You would have to be injection already.
    Yes you can run alcohol at low compression ratio's but you will get some oil dilution.
    I think I would only expect about a 10% performance gain without optimising compression and camshaft events for alcohol. Probably not worth it.

WannabeRacing
    The main reasons for going with the alcohol is as follows;
    #1- MUCH wider tuning window. You can be 15% fat and still run like a banshee! 10% lean and do the same. Can't do that on gas.
    #2- Cooler. You can run your engine way more cool as alcohol is such a cool fuel. The more rich you run, the cooler the engine will run.
    #3- Parts tend to last about 30% longer than with gasoline. Much of that is due to #2
    Now, you can run that just fine with alcohol. But with that compression and a big blower, you will have a tougher time running with very little throttle, and at idle. The way we make a blown alcohol application idle well is upping the compression. But it could work just fine. Just a little adjusting to get it right.
    Draining is not that big of a deal. And some of the upper cylinder lubes and fuel stabilizers work quite well.

Smitty19
    Thats all good info I'm runnings dominators with an inercooler I would run a hat though If I made the switch 10% increase isn't to exciting though
    Its too fresh to go through pistons cam ect. I checked the mixture with the
    F.A.S.T o2 sensor, that thing is sweet! I finaly new for sure if the mixture was
    Kosher

Unchained
    I checked the mixture with the
    F.A.S.T o2 sensor, that thing is sweet! I finally knew for sure if the mixture was Kosher
    You hit the nail on the head right there.
    You knew the mixture was right because YOU CHECKED IT ACCURATELY. Doesn't matter if the optimum tuning range was wide or narrow.
    Once you've used an O2 sensor you'll never go back to trial and error fuel system tuning methods.
    And from all the times I went to the boat drags, I never saw one in use yet.

UBFJ #454
    Mark, Guess you really didn't look too carefully at our motor's DA System ... We've been running A/F's (O2's) since we put our latest motor in back in '01/'02 ... We can and, have taken data from every cylinder as well as all on one side averaged together.

Unchained
    Mark, Guess you really didn't look too carefully at our motor's DA System ... We've been running A/F's (O2's) since we put our latest motor in back in '01/'02 ... We can and, have taken data from every cylinder as well as all on one side averaged together.
    Sorry Jak,
    I stand corrected on your engine.