Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indmar Exhaust Manifolds/Risers

robk
    I have a Carrera 20.5 Elite with a 496 (454 bored 0.060) that still has the stock Indmar manifolds and risers... In my quest for a little more horsepower for the upcoming summer I'm wondering if replacing these with an aftermarket set is a cost-effective way to gain a few more ponies?
    Any recommendations or suggestions?
    Rob

jbone
    I've upgraded my Indmar 502 to the 502/502 and still have the Indmar manifolds. I have to wait on the headers. $$$ reasons.
    I've been told they are not the worst factory manifolds, but headers will definately net good results.
    I call to Lightning Headers could probably answer your questions.
    Here's their link http://www.boatheaders.com/headers.htm
    If you go with the headers, can you pm me with your results. I am very interested in real life info for these.
    Thanks,
    J

BLOWN JOB
    they make two different kind one steel that are ok but the aluminum ones are better

Rob there are a multitude of options for your needs in both jacketed and cast ,most all will be a weight savings as well as a performance increase, alot may depend on cam and modification choices (now and future) Let me know if you need more info further Tom

robk
    I've upgraded my Indmar 502 to the 502/502 and still have the Indmar manifolds. I have to wait on the headers. $$$ reasons.
    I've been told they are not the worst factory manifolds, but headers will definately net good results.
    I call to Lightning Headers could probably answer your questions.
    Here's their link http://www.boatheaders.com/headers.htm
    If you go with the headers, can you pm me with your results. I am very interested in real life info for these.
    Thanks,
    J
    Thanks for the link, they have pretty awesome-looking stuff. Whichever way I decide to go; I'll give you my before and after #s.
    Rob there are a multitude of options for your needs in both jacketed and cast ,most all will be a weight savings as well as a performance increase, alot may depend on cam and modification choices (now and future) Let me know if you need more info further Tom
    The previous owner did a bunch of work to what used to be the 454 in the boat... now a 496, custom arias pistons, crane cam (don't have the part no here with me), and a bunch of other stuff. Just left the exhaust alone.
    I don't plan on modifying the internals any further in the foreseeable future, so I was looking to the external stuff. I'll see if I can find the part number of the cam and post it tonight if that'll help.
    Rob

75MillerJet
    I thought the Indmar ex mans WERE considered aftermarket and flowed pretty good? In May 2006's issue of ***boat in the "454/502 Makeover" article (page 52 specifically) It shows a pic of a BBC with Indmar manifolds and it states that the BBC has been "transformed" with the available aftermarket products.

robk
    I thought the Indmar ex mans WERE considered aftermarket and flowed pretty good? In May 2006's issue of ***boat in the "454/502 Makeover" article (page 52 specifically) It shows a pic of a BBC with Indmar manifolds and it states that the BBC has been "transformed" with the available aftermarket products.
    Hmm.. that's a good point. I assumed they were "stock" since they came as part of the motor package (which has since been modified quite a bit). I'll have to see if I can find a copy of that issue; I would certainly like to read the article. Thanks for the tip.
    Rob

75MillerJet
    Hmm.. that's a good point. I assumed they were "stock" since they came as part of the motor package (which has since been modified quite a bit). I'll have to see if I can find a copy of that issue; I would certainly like to read the article. Thanks for the tip.
    Rob
    u can order back issues or i can scan the article on to my computer and get it over to u (if thats not illegal) :idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
    Don't know about the Indmars, but my Niccson logs were replaced by Lightning headers last winter, 200 RPM gained against my Agressor B impeller, 50 HP, and that was on a stock (cammed and intake changed) 454. The base motor changes were the previous winter, only the headers changed that winter. I think they were well worth the $1200+ I paid USED (I got lucky).
    Scanning and giving him the back-article should be no more illegal than mailing hin the magazine. Scanning it and SELLING it to him for, say, $1, would technically be piracy, since you are profiting from it.

Rob
    Rob,
    You're correct, they're stock when you order an jet boat engine package from Indmar, and they're as good as it gets performance wise when compared to all other OEM (hardin, harman, glenwood and so on) aftermarket aluminum manifolds until you step up to headers. There was also a comparison done years ago in one of the boat mags that proved this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast