Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Consumption/Carb Prob...

BiggusJimbus
    Everything was running great until the last day of my last trip.
    I've got a 750cfm Holley 4010 carb on my 455 Olds that has worked perfectly to date.
    However, My fuel consumption suddenly skyrocketed. I mean to like 30 gph. I've pulled the cover off the carb and checked the floats, no prob. The needles seem to be sealing correctly. I am pretty sure that the gas is just dumping into the motor, as the runners in the intake manifold were literally wet with gas.
    Any ideas as to what is going on here?
    I'm running the dreaded Holley Blue Pump at about 5.5 lbs of fuel pressure. According to Holley, the needles should be good for up to 8 lbs.
    Help please, as I am going to try and get some use out of the boat this weekend, and can't afford a gas bill like that.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Jimbus.

Hotcrusader76
    Sounds like you're due for a seasonal tune-up...No?
    How long ago since the carb was rebuilt? Looks like you should check into some new plugs, wires, cap/rotor, etc, etc..ya know..tune-up type stuff.
    As far as the excessive fuel consumption, it sounds like a multitude of problems...tune-up, leaking carb, fouled plugs...
    Hope this helps you out.
    ~Ty

BiggusJimbus
    Picked up new plugs.
    Opened up the carb. It's clean. No muck. flipped the cover over and blew in the fuel inlets. The valves are sealing properly.
    Nothing looks particularly dirty or varnished.
    It's not running bad. But the gas is going somewhere. If it's not better tomorrow, I guess I'm going to have to dig deeper into the carb.
    Plugs didn't appear to be fowled, much to my surprise. I know I was running a little rich. I am running some pretty hot plugs.
    Anyway. I guess I've got to do more investigation.
    [ September 04, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: BiggusJimbus ]

Snowboat
    Has the oil level in your pan risen?
    [ September 04, 2003, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Snowboat ]

BiggusJimbus
    Nope. Hmm. That's something I ought to check out.
    I doubt that was the problem. It was happening while I was running. I could literally see the fuel gauge needle move.
    I think I checked the oil and it was clean, but I'll double check that.

BiggusJimbus
    Good thought,
    But the oil is the correct level, color and smell. No gas or water there.
    That's a good thing.
    I'm pretty sure it is dumping right down the carb. I guess I'll have to take a closer look at it while it is running.
    It's a dead simple carb design. I'll go over the setup carefully tomorrow.
    Hmmm. This is perplexing. The carb only has about 40 running hours on it, for that matter, everything in the boat does. As I said, it was running very nicely up until it started chowing down gas.
    I was hoping somebody would be able to say your problem is X, but I know these carbs were never very popular. I've had a couple over the years that have, up until now, worked perfectly.

Most common carb leakage problems:
    Leaking needle valve due to dirt or damage OR excessive fuel pressure.
    Sunken float due to saturation or leakage.
    Bad Power valve (common)
    There are others but I'd check these out first. If it still seems to be running good it's probably not ignition. Is the transom black?
    Good luck

BiggusJimbus
    Rexone:
    Most common carb leakage problems:
    Leaking needle valve due to dirt or damage OR excessive fuel pressure.
    Sunken float due to saturation or leakage.
    Bad Power valve (common)
    There are others but I'd check these out first. If it still seems to be running good it's probably not ignition. Is the transom black?
    Good luck Needle valves seem to be functioning correctly, but I'll get some replacements anyway. Cheap insurance.
    Probably pick up a couple power valves as well, although this model carb doesn't have the blowout problems of the earlier holley's
    Floats are good, I tested them.
    I'm pretty sure there are no ignition problems, as I said, it still runs pretty well. The transom does get a little black. I know I've been on the rich side, at least on the idle circuit.
    I think that I am most suspicious of the power valve, so that may be my first order of business.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Jim.

LeE ss13
    Another cause for excess fuel consumption with a Holley carburetor is that the main body gets warped where the metering block mounts. It exposes the power valve vacuum chamber to fuel passages. It's easy to check. Just remove the bowls and metering blocks and lay a small straight edge or even a business card across the main body. If it is warped, it will need to filed or machined flat again. When fuel is being leaked through the vacuum passages that feed the power valve, it goes unseen. Meaning, you won't see it spilling out the booster venturis when the engine is running. It is coming out the bottom of the carb where the vacuum passage is. Just a thought.

Hotcrusader76
    Good point LeE ss13....
    But this is a 4010 carb, very different than the 4150 style you described. Nonetheless great info.
    ~Ty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast