Thread: Do I need marine speakers?

Sotally Tober
    I'm going to upgrade the stock system in my boat. I've got the mb quart pce 216 component speakers in my f350. I think they sound very good and thought about putting them in my boat. I would need 3 sets. Mb quart also makes a new marine 6.5" coax marine speaker. It has the same power handling. Would it sound as good? Would the pce 216 not handle a marine enviornment? I was going to run them with the Kicker 850.4 or 650.4. I was going to also add 2 Kicker 12" L7's pushed by a 1200.1.
    What are your guys thoughts? Roz?

Sotally Tober
    Thanks for the input. Which models would you choose in a 6-6.5" component? The DA seem to take around 70 watts than the MB's That is quite a bit more.
    As there are no dealers for Diamond around here, anyone recommend any online dealers?

BADASS38CHEVY
    Im running 7 pairs of the mb quart pce 216 component speakers in my deck boat and only running 75 rms watts to them.Let me tell you these speakers are so loud and clear I was blown away by sound that comes from these speakers as you know from running them in your truck im sure you are happy with them.I have 3 jl audio 300/4 running them.Kick ass amps for only running 75 watts to a speaker that can handle 125 watts rms.

BADASS38CHEVY
    I pretty much did what you did in your build up.All of the 6.5 have a custom fiberglass pods encloser behind them.Sounds so much better than without.One of these days when I see you ,you will have to hear it.I think everbody has a differant ear for sound when it comes to music,and I think the system on mine came out INSANE.

BADASS38CHEVY
    No problem.

riverbound
    I would have to say you would be pretty happy with the Quarts. Also you do not HAVE to go with a "marine" speaker in a lake boat application. The Quart marine speaker does not sound as good as the Car stuff.

Sotally Tober
    Thanks RB. I did not know what the marines would sound like. I thought they might put the same tweets and mids in just a plastic housing. But if it is a total different speaker I'm not interested. I love the sound of them in my truck. I'm only running 70 watts to them in it. So some more power in the boat would help. I wish I could get enclosures behind them. I just do not think there is any way in a SeaRay. I was going to just pull the stock ones out. Has anyone added enclosures to a boat like this? I might be able to get behind the fiberglass panels.

BADASS38CHEVY
    Laveycraft made my fiberglass speaker pods for behind the 6.5 ,try giving them a call.

Sotally Tober
    Badass that is one sick boat. The colors are incredible!
    Are the Infinity component speakers any good? I have the Infinity tower speakers. A total of 4 6.5's and 2 tweets in them. 125w x 2. I am one that likes to match evrything. Does any one know how they sound compared to the Quarts?

BADASS38CHEVY
    Thanks,I love the colors too.All colors are pearl candies.Has about 20 different shades of colors on it.I wouldnt know on the Infinity component speakers .You just have to listen to them.Everyone has a sound that there looking.I was looking for a very clear sound but had a little loudness to them also.I found mine with the MB quart speakers.Unless I hear something I like better than I will stick with these.I didnt want to go with 6x9 speakers because I like the look of the 6.5, smaller looking speakers.So I had to add more than planned to try and get the volume out of the 6.5's. Phat Matt's system sound sweet.If your going to go with 6x9 I would go with those boston speakers that he is running.They sound really awesome.Check out the build up on my lavey.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...r=2760&cat=500