Thread: New iPod car hook up

phebus
    Anyone see this yet? Looks promising. http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/tour.aspx

phebus
    Harman Kardon Drive + Play (DP1US)
    Keep your mind on your driving: Drive + Play puts the familiar iPod menu on a backlit display right on your car’s dashboard or windshield, where you can read it at a glance. The system is controlled by an intuitive interface that mimics the navigation on your iPod, and is just as easy to use—browse by artist, album, song, genre or composer. Mount it someplace convenient and you can scroll through playlists or switch tracks at your leisure, all while keeping your eyes on the road.
    Simple controls: The control knob is virtually identical to iPod’s Click Wheel so it is immediately familiar to iPod users. With three mounting bases for the most comfortable placement, the Drive+Play will be your right-hand man.
    Nerve center: The brain is the hidden central hub of the Drive+Play. You can connect your iPod and place them both out of sight under a seat, in the glovebox or in the center console, with no messy wires and no chance for damage to your iPod. It even charges your iPod when it’s plugged in.
    Professional installation: To maximize the potential of your new Drive+Play, you’ll need a clean, professional installation. Circuit City’s Roadshop can make sure everything’s in tune with your car’s audio system, and keep the wiring secure and hidden from view.
    Multiple mounting options: You can connect Drive + Play in one of three ways. Use a 3.5mm audio line output, a wired FM transmitter or the wireless FM transmitter with five preset frequencies.
    Auxiliary in: The unit has a second auxiliary input to provide access to other audio devices like satellite radio receivers or a cell phone without unplugging your iPod.
    Compatibility: The Drive + Play works with 3rd and 4th generation iPods, color iPods, iPod mini and iPod nano.

phebus
    If you use a wired FM transmitter, how would it sound? I want to install one in my Chevy 2500HD, and it doesn't have audio inputs. I know the wireless FM modulators don't sound very good, but I don't know how the wired transmitter compares.

h2oski2fast
    If you use a wired FM transmitter, how would it sound? I want to install one in my Chevy 2500HD, and it doesn't have audio inputs. I know the wireless FM modulators don't sound very good, but I don't know how the wired transmitter compares.
    Basically its the same as they use to add a changer (FM modulator), so the sound will only be as good as the tuner section of the radio. If your Chevy has factory XM, then they make adapters that plug directly into the back of the radio and the Ipod is controled through the radio.