Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tell if its a 4 bolt block?

jungledave
    I have an 83 sleekcraft with an inmar 454 that looks to be the original engine. What I am wondering is there anyway to tell if it is a 4 bolt block without removing the pan? The block casting number is 14015445.

HBjet
    14015445...454.......78-90...2 or 4 bolt
    found this from www.mortec.com
    guess the only way to tell is to pull the pan!
    HBjet

Moneypitt
    I have an 83 sleekcraft with an inmar 454 that looks to be the original engine. What I am wondering is there anyway to tell if it is a 4 bolt block without removing the pan? The block casting number is 14015445.
    Go to Mortec.com. They have listings by casting numbers, however some blocks will say 2 or 4 bolt, some will be 2 bolt only and a few will be 4 bolt only. There are other signs that point to the HD 4 bolt, like a big pipe thread above the filter area for the factory type oil cooler plumbing..MP

Jetaholic
    Unfortunately, 14015445 is a very common casting number on 78-90 blocks, and it can be either a 2 or a 4 bolt main, so in this case the only way to tell would be to pull the pan.

On the earlier blocks, you could tell w/o pulling the pan. There were pipe threads w/ a square plug (like a pipe plug ... maybe 3/4" threads) above the oil filter cast into the block for a PTO ...
    dunno if that helps, not sure if it applies to the later blocks, I''ll go upstairs and look at a few blocks and check and see

tittyman
    If someone claims there 454 is an LS6...can you tell from the serial number or other indications on the exterior of the block...rather than just taking there word for it...

jungledave
    I have an 83 sleekcraft with an inmar 454 that looks to be the original engine. What I am wondering is there anyway to tell if it is a 4 bolt block without removing the pan? The block casting number is 14015445.Well thanks for the info on the block, I had already printed the mortech casting numbers but was hoping to find something deffinate. I'll have to check for the big pipe plug above the oil filter area like was suggested , have to knock the snow off the cover...........again.

lucky
    My opinion - if your in a lake boat and your putting less than 600 ponies out - it doesn't matter - most Don't twist the rrrss and when you re load the crank when your entering the water again after a nice roller your only loading whats in the grate and bowl - I have ran a studded two bolt for 14 years - at 5300 rpm and its still going like the pink bunny

My opinion - if your in a lake boat and your putting less than 600 ponies out - it doesn't matter - most Don't twist the rrrss and when you re load the crank when your entering the water again after a nice roller your only loading whats in the grate and bowl - I have ran a studded two bolt for 14 years - at 5300 rpm and its still going like the pink bunny
    This is a true statement ... I have rebuilt many 2 bolts that were plenty of motor for most ski boats.

jungledave
    My opinion - if your in a lake boat and your putting less than 600 ponies out - it doesn't matter - most Don't twist the rrrss and when you re load the crank when your entering the water again after a nice roller your only loading whats in the grate and bowl - I have ran a studded two bolt for 14 years - at 5300 rpm and its still going like the pink bunny Well I wasn't counting on it being a four bolt just trying to weigh a whole bunch of options of wich boat to sell and wich to build. I only plan on needing around 450 HP so not a big deal. I wish I had all the parts to run a chrysler but not many 44 0 water manifolds out there or bellhousings ect. Thanks to all for the info. oh yea. head castings are 353049. Are these what are referred to as the 49 heads on this sight and does anyone know anything about them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast