Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill Switch?

Mandella69
    I am looking for a kill switch for my flatbottom. The way the boat is wired, it must handle all the current which would be about 15 amps. Two electric fuel pumps, MSD6 ignition and occasionaly, a sump pump. I suppose I could rewire the boat but I prefer a "master" on/off switch.
    The double ball kill switch would do the job but I have been told they are somewhat unreliable. I do not know as I have never used one. All the other ones I have seen are usually rated for 5 amps or so. Any advice would be helpful.
    Thanks

With that much wirring you might as well not stop there. Add a relay. The relay will easily handle the amps. Control the relay with the kill switch.
    Let me know if you need some help with the wiring of the relay.

GofastRacer
    The double ball works as long as the tab is pulled out straight, I have seen where a driver got ejected and pulled the tab at an angle and it broke off leaving half of it in tact and not killing the ignition. Get a Mercury switch, it will come off no matter how you exit!..

steelcomp
    I agree with Morg. I have my fuel pump and ignition both on idividual relays, and wired into the kill switch. Fuel pump won't run without the ign. on, and the ign. is on the kill sw., so it'll kill fuel pump and ign. relays.

Fiat48
    Thanks for the reminder. The double ball on my deal has to go. Too many shocking experiences as I have a magneto and evidently my body seems to be a good conductor.

GofastRacer
    Another reason not to use em!..

When I switched to the mag I got the Merc. kill switch from Rex.
    BTW- Hey Steel I thought our agreement on a subject should be remembered, Check out my sig.

Mandella69
    Thanks for the replies. The idea of using a relay(s) makes a lot of sense. I gather you all like the Mercury kill switch as the means to trip thr relay. Morg, thanks for the offer about the wiring. Let me think about my situation and if I have doubts I will contact you.
    Thanks again

Moneypitt
    How does a double ball switch work with a 12v ignition? With the plastic piece in, there is no conductivity. Does it hook to the dist. side of the coil, then ground it out when the plug is pulled? If you're trying to interupt the voltage supply I fail to see how a double ball deal would work. For a mag yes, standard type ignition, I can't see it............MP

Firecracker
    If you get a Mercury switch and you use it to turn off your engine, make sure you buy extra pull thingys. The spring that goes around them tends to wear out, and the cap does not stay on the switch, and this will cause your engine to turn off without you wanting it to. We had a problem with that in my grandfather's boat when we were using it for ski racing. But we didn't even use it to kill the engine, and the spring wore out. Smart idea to keep an extra black cap thingy in your driver seat just in case!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast