Thread: shift interrupter

idrivemri
    I have a 1982 Glassport with a 5.0 228hp Mercruiser. The enging stalls out when going from foward nuetral reverse. The shift interrupter seems to be doing the job. Its wired into the nrgative side of the coil. I also have read it could be a shift cable binding in the lower unit. The enging did get hot once. myfault wrong oil filter and pumped out all the oil from the engine into my boat. I did catch it quickly and n:idea: o real damage was done .Help Thanks

Ryan00TJ
    When shifted, is the engagement smooth? If it's smooth like always I doubt it is a shift cable. Check little things as the connection of the shift interupter componets to the coil. It works on a basic concept, it rolls when shifted to a contact which temporarily breaks contact to the coil. Mine is original in the boat and I have never had to touch it.

idrivemri
    It actually grinds pretty hard in foward and reverse. Unless I shift it fast. Then the boats almost jumps ouy of the water. Thanks

jammin
    These devices can be very challenging, disconect the shift cable from the shift mechanism in the back of the boat and see if the cable moves without restriction. If it does move freely there is an adjustment on the shifter to adjust the shift interrupter. If the cable does not move freely try a new cable.

idrivemri
    Could it be a simple clutch adjustnment or does it have a clutch. !982 Mercruiser in/outboard? Im really reaching for anything.

GUGS102
    had an 82 sea ray that would do the same thing. I too played with the shifter etc. Changed the intermediate shift cable and all the problems went away. The old cable housings are not as goos as todays, I think I paid $300 total to have it swapped out.

BDMar
    When the intermediate shift cable gets old it will cause the interrupt switch to activate when it shouldn't and kill the engine. The switch is designed to activate when coming OUT of gear under a load only. You can test it on the trailer. Like an earlier post said, disconnect the intermediate cable from the shift bracket and move it by hand. If there is ANY restriction it will cause the switch to activate when it shouldn't. Re attach the cable to the shift bracket. Remove the prop, put on the flusher, start the engine, (both cables must be attached to the shift bracket) shift into gear using the shift handle at the helm and watch the switch. If it moves at all and starts to activate, the intermediate cable needs to be replaced.

idrivemri
    OK thank you for the tip. will try.