Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Size limits

BRAWNY
    ball towing is 65' total.fith wheel combo can be 75'.

OGShocker
    I HOPE THIS HELPS
    35401. (a) Except as provided in subdivisions (b), (c), and (d), no combination of vehicles coupled together, including any attachments, may exceed a total length of 65 feet.
    (b) (1) A combination of vehicles coupled together, including any attachments, which consists of a truck tractor, a semitrailer, and a semitrailer or trailer, may not exceed a total length of 75 feet, if the length of neither the semitrailers nor the trailer in the combination of vehicles exceeds 28 feet 6 inches.
    (2) A B-train assembly is excluded from the measurement of semitrailer length when used between the first and second semitrailers of a truck tractor-semitrailer-semitrailer combination of vehicles. However, if there is no second semitrailer mounted to the B-train assembly, it shall be included in the length measurement of the semitrailer to which it is attached.
    (3) A combination of vehicles coupled together, including any attachments, may have a total length of not more than 75 feet, if all of the following apply:
    (A) The combination of vehicles consists of a motortruck and two trailers.
    (B) No trailer in the combination exceeds 28 feet 6 inches in length.
    (C) The combination is used exclusively to transport agricultural products from the field to the first point of handling and return, and each direction of transport does not exceed 80 miles.
    (D) The combination is not operated on a highway designated by the United States Department of Transportation as a national network route.
    (E) The Department of the California Highway Patrol, in consultation with the Department of Transportation, shall conduct a study of the effect that the exemption provided in paragraph (3) has on public safety. The Department of the California Highway Patrol shall report the results of the study to the Legislature and the Governor on or before April 1, 2005.
    (F) This paragraph shall become inoperative on January 1, 2006, unless a later enacted statute deletes or extends that date.
    (c) (1) A tow truck in combination with a single disabled vehicle or a single abandoned vehicle that is authorized to travel on the highways by this chapter is exempt from subdivision (a) when operating under a valid annual transportation permit.
    (2) A tow truck, in comb
    ination with ( )1 a disabled or abandoned combination of vehicles that are authorized to travel on the highways by this chapter, is exempt from subdivision (a) when operating under a valid annual transportation permit and within a 100-mile radius of the location specified in the permit. ( )2
    (3) A tow truck ( )3 may exceed the 100-mile radius restriction imposed under paragraph (2) if a single trip permit is obtained from the Department of Transportation.
    (d) Any city or county may, by ordinance, prohibit a combination of vehicles of a total length in excess of 60 feet upon highways under its respective jurisdiction. The ordinance may not be effective until appropriate signs are erected indicating either the streets affected by the ordinance or the streets not affected, as the local authority determines will best serve to give notice of the ordinance.
    (e) Any city or county, upon a determination that a highway or portion of highway under its jurisdiction cannot, in consideration of public safety, sustain the operation of trailers or semitrailers of the maximum kingpin to rearmost axle distances permitted under Section 35400, may, by ordinance, establish lesser distances consistent with the maximum distances that the highway or highway portion can sustain, except that a city or county may not restrict the kingpin to rearmost axle measurement to less than 38 feet on those highways or highway portions. Any city or county considering the adoption of an ordinance shall consider, but not be limited to, consideration of, all of the following:
    (1) A comparison of the operating characteristics of the vehicles to be limited as compared to operating characteristics of other vehicles regulated by this code.
    (2) Actual traffic volume.
    (3) Frequency of accidents.
    (4) Any other relevant data.
    In addition, the city or county may appoint an advisory committee consisting of local representatives of those interests which are likely to be affected and shall consider the recommendations of the advisory committee in adopting the ordinance. The ordinance may not be effective until appropriate signs are erected indicating the highways or highway portions affected by the ordinance.
    This subdivision shall only become operative upon the adoption of an enabling ordinance by a city or county.
    (f) Whenever, in the judgment of the Department of Transportation, any state highway cannot, in consideration of public safety, sustain the operation of trailers or semitrailers of the maximum kingpin to rearmost axle distances permitted under Section 35400, the director, in consultation with the Department of the California Highway Patrol, shall compile data on total traffic volume, frequency of use by vehicles covered by this subdivision, accidents involving these vehicles, and other relevant data to assess whether these vehicles are a threat to public safety and should be excluded from the highway or highway segment. The study, containing the conclusions and recommendations of the director, shall be submitted to the Secretary of the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency. Unless otherwise notified by the secretary, the director shall hold public hearings in accordance with the procedures set forth in Article 3 (commencing with Section 35650) of Chapter 5 for the purpose of determining the maximum kingpin to rear axle length, which shall be not less than 38 feet, that the highway or highway segment can sustain without unreasonable threat to the safety of the public. Upon the basis of the findings, the Director of Transportation shall declare in writing the maximum kingpin to rear axle lengths which can be maintained with safety upon the highway. Following the declaration of maximum lengths as provided by this subdivision, the Department of Transportation shall erect suitable signs at each end of the affected portion of the highway and at any other points that the Department of Transportation determines to be necessary to give adequate notice of the length limits.
    The Department of Transportation, in consultation with the Department of the California Highway Patrol, shall compile traffic volume, geometric, and other relevant data, to assess the maximum kingpin to rearmost axle distance of vehicle combinations appropriate for those state highways or portion of highways, affected by this section, that cannot safely accommodate trailers or semitrailers of the maximum kingpin to rearmost axle distances permitted under Section 35400. On or before January 1, 1989, the department shall erect suitable signs appropriately restricting truck travel on those highways, or portions of highways, and report its findings and recommendations to the Legislature.
    Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 560, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.
    Amended Sec. 32, Ch. 615, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.
    The 2004 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:
    1. "any of the following vehicles authorized to travel on the highway"
    2. ": (1) A disabled vehicle. (2) An abandoned vehicle. (3) A disabled or abandoned combination of vehicles."
    3. "in combination with the above vehicles"
    Hey Copper,
    Could you break this down to ten words or less, non of which should exceed two syllables? :crossx:

H20 Toie
    ball towing is 65' total.fith wheel combo can be 75'.
    Bummer

H20 Toie
    you have room for a 24' tow vehicle.
    Thats a pretty short motorhome

OGShocker
    Thats a pretty short motorhome
    We pulled our boat behind our 43' Monaco with no problems. Most of the time the CHirPpies won't bother you, just don't brake down or drive like an azz, you should be OK. If they do, just make a run for it... :crossx:

uvindex
    Lots of good Cali info above...
    However, remember that towing laws vary by STATE, so check the laws in the states you plan to drive in. (Example: NV max length is 70' and NM max length is 75'. )
    Heights vary too: CA has max height of 14' but in AZ it is 13'6".
    Here's a good reference: (state towing laws are at the very end of the PDF):
    http://www.trailerboats.com/images/e...6045_tow06.pdf

bohica
    75' is only for tractor trailer rigs, 65' is the limit for moho-trailer combo in CA, They've been checking a lot more recently. Buddy got pulled over in Indio on his way to Glamis a few weeks ago for the sole reason of looking over-length. I'm at 71' with my moho and enclosed trailer, crossing my fingers I don't get busted. New stacker to get legal is gonna cost mr 50K

OGShocker
    75' is only for tractor trailer rigs, 65' is the limit for moho-trailer combo in CA, They've been checking a lot more recently. Buddy got pulled over in Indio on his way to Glamis a few weeks ago for the sole reason of looking over-length. I'm at 71' with my moho and enclosed trailer, crossing my fingers I don't get busted. New stacker to get legal is gonna cost mr 50K
    $1000 to the 11-99 Foundation would go a long way.

H20 Toie
    Lots of good Cali info above...
    However, remember that towing laws vary by STATE, so check the laws in the states you plan to drive in. (Example: NV max length is 70' and NM max length is 75'. )
    Heights vary too: CA has max height of 14' but in AZ it is 13'6".
    Here's a good reference: (state towing laws are at the very end of the PDF):
    http://www.trailerboats.com/images/e...6045_tow06.pdf
    Well those laws state that the max trailer lenght in Ca is 40' so anyone with a 35' boat or bigger is illegal, I'm so confused :cry:

Moose
    bohica is right, it's 65' total. I went round and round with CHP about pulling doubles. I got different answers from every CHP officer I talked to. I finally Got in touch with a "Motor Carrier" at the CHP main office and they went through all the laws pertaining "Non Commercial" vehicals. Your rig can only be 65' from bumper to bumper. You can get away with a little more because the boat can hang over the back of the trailer no more than 3' and it is not counted in the total length. If it does hang over more than 36" then you have to count it in the over all length.
    I had my brother-in-law (a CHP officer) talk to some of the commercial officers about being a little over (I'm at 67 1/2' feet with doubles) and they said "don't drive like an a$$ and stick to the speed limit and you shouldn't get hasseled, if you are grossly over the limit then expect a Ticket".
    Moose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast