Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tandem or Triple axle

Wild Horses
    What are the real benefits of a triple over a tandem.
    33' Outlaw 7500 lbs.
    If I get a 10400 lb tandem axle is it any worse than a 13000 triple for this application.
    Thanks for any and all input.
    Clint

dirty old man
    trips

LAFD
    not an expert in any means but my thoughts are a triple axle has better weight distribution and tows really straight. no sure but might even be a little lighter in the tonge weight but that is just a guess..

Tom Brown
    Tripples scrub the front tires in extremely few miles and they are really hard to turn tightly.
    I'd go with double.
    Of course, if you want to look like a baller... the more axles the better.

Liquid Courage
    Go tripple. I've had both and LAFD is correct. The main thing is that if you get a blow out and don't have the spare or blow a barring you can still get to your destination with relative ease.

Sleek-Jet
    In the immortal words of RiverDave...
    Go triples or go home...

Froggystyle
    What are the real benefits of a triple over a tandem.
    33' Outlaw 7500 lbs.
    If I get a 10400 lb tandem axle is it any worse than a 13000 triple for this application.
    Thanks for any and all input.
    Clint
    For a boat that size, triples are actually applicable. They distribute the load over six tires and not four, so there is a lower load per tire.
    Most boats running triple axle tires certainly don't need them however, and there are a lot of problems associated with triples.
    They are heavier, with more moving parts. You add 1/3 to your trailer tire cost and maintenance. They radically wear the front or rear two tires when maneuvering and fatigue the sidewall getting dragged around. They are MUCH harder to maneuver in tight spaces, and nearly impossible by hand. If you blow out a middle tire, it is very difficult to jack that axle up because of the reach from the outside of the other tires. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot remove a wheel altogether and keep on truckin, so there is no redundancy advantage.
    Advantages? Look pretty cool. Allows a lower load rating tire (20" rims for example" to be used instead of trailer rated tires.
    I have been conflicted as hell as to what to do on our boats stock. Tandem is a better choice for us because of the extremely light weight of the boat, but triples look bling. People for some reason expect triples on a boat this expensive even though there is nothing but downside to running them.
    I dunno....

Froggystyle
    Go tripple. I've had both and LAFD is correct. The main thing is that if you get a blow out and don't have the spare or blow a barring you can still get to your destination with relative ease.
    How? The axle will lay on the ground on one side with a standard spring setup, and a torsion axle will articulate all the way to the ground.
    Unless you chain it into the up position, there is no moving it with the wheel gone. If you can chain it up, you can do that with a tandem.

LAFD
    For a boat that size, triples are actually applicable. They distribute the load over six tires and not four, so there is a lower load per tire.
    Most boats running triple axle tires certainly don't need them however, and there are a lot of problems associated with triples.
    They are heavier, with more moving parts. You add 1/3 to your trailer tire cost and maintenance. They radically wear the front or rear two tires when maneuvering and fatigue the sidewall getting dragged around. They are MUCH harder to maneuver in tight spaces, and nearly impossible by hand. If you blow out a middle tire, it is very difficult to jack that axle up because of the reach from the outside of the other tires. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot remove a wheel altogether and keep on truckin, so there is no redundancy advantage.
    Advantages? Look pretty cool. Allows a lower load rating tire (20" rims for example" to be used instead of trailer rated tires.
    I have been conflicted as hell as to what to do on our boats stock. Tandem is a better choice for us because of the extremely light weight of the boat, but triples look bling. People for some reason expect triples on a boat this expensive even though there is nothing but downside to running them.
    I dunno....
    you should run a triple axle with all the axles on airbags. than when time comes for tight turning lift an axle. that would be sick. i havent forgot about the pics froggy my home computer took a dump. sorry i didnt contact you about it...

Havasu Hangin'
    That boat will weigh closer to 9,000lbs with gas, and 12,000lbs with the weight of the trailer.
    Triples (or you will be going through bearings and/or tires).

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast