Thread: flex plate flywheel probs (BBC454)

infotraker
    Very loud clanking noise started at CFW on Fathers day in my Sanger Pickle BBC454. Went away once then came back constant (turned engine off and got towed in sun.) Took apart today , flex plate flywheel visually seems ok, a little metal dust on housing cover. The starter gear also seemed to be stuck in flywheel gear. Started engine and gear popped loose, no noise. Starter gear looks ok, a little marked at edge of teeth. This problem happened way back (only clanked a little at 3000 rpm and then stopped) Ground engine mount bracket where balance weights on back of flex wheel hit the mount plate (problem fixed). I think I need new flex flywheel, (any make better than standard plate ? Any ideas will greatly be appreciated !! Need to get back on the water !

Floored
    summit,jegs and speed shops are selling a new and much thicker flexplate for around $70.00 or so. much stronger and less wobble in ring gear.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Make sure you get it for a 454 or it will shake like hell. eek!

Make sure you stay away from the cheap import junkers, nothing but problems. Heavy aftermarket or stock GM only way to go.

i have a 454 externally balanced flexplate for sale im going to internal balancing. pm me if your interested.

wsuwrhr
    This is not spam, just giving info on parts I swear by.
    I sell Reactor Flexplates. They are made alot better then the stamped steel ones.
    I agree with REX, whatever you do, don't buy a cheap one. Make sure it is SFI certified. Those things make a mess if the come apart. It would cut a boat to peices.
    Brian
    Reactor Products flexplates
    [ June 30, 2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: wsuwrhr ]

SteveGB
    I think I may have developed a flex plate problem too. Seems the starter likes to grind all of a sudden. Looking at the plate while in rotation there's a whole lot of runout happening.
    I believe my 454 is externally balanced. What would cause this problem all of a sudden?