Thread: 4 motors in 8 months

bustbig
    I bought my 2000 29' wizard from the Magic dealer with 5 hours on a fresh 454 hp that they had built in house less than eight months ago. The motor grenaded in less than three hours, they did not stand behind it but offered to split the rebuild cost. That motor lasted 28 hours, and the replacement has burned over six quarts of oil in the first twelve hours I have ran it. To top it off I when I changed the oil I realized that the new motor had both the old plugs as well as oil filter from the previous motor. I offered to buy a brand new Wizard with a warranty if they would just give me back the origonal purchase price towards the new boat, they insulted me with a rediculously low offer and told me they were in the boat buisness to make money. I offered to buy a new mercruiser motor if they would make me a really good deal, they just told me to bring the boat back to Havasu for the fifth time so they could determine if it was my fault or theirs the newest motor was coming apart. I am at the end of my rope and have decided to build a new 500 hp through a very respectable builder and completely distance myself from the company that has been jerking me around since the day I drove off the lot. Does anyone know what rights I might have as a consumer? I would like to sue Magic for the cost of my new motor as well as the previous ones and legal fees, but only if I have a chance in hell of recouping my expenses. I just want a boat that runs!

Moneypitt
    Do as others here have done and badmouth, with name and address, the business that you feel has screwed you without even a hello kiss. These people give actual boat people, people that take care of their customers, a bad image. The best thing is to let them have it right here. There are over 6000 boaters on this board, and when the word about these jerks gets out, it won't be long before they are out of customers to screw!!(did they really re-use the oil filter??) Just my .02.........Moneypitt

GofastRacer
    Moneypitt, check your PM's..

BrendellaJet
    I would delete your post(by editing) Call them, and give them one last chance to make it right. If they dont, then let them know you will be posting here. Keep the thread near the top. Then, once you've got some decent traffic on it, send them a link every now and then to see what they are missing!. Also, there may be 6k registered users, but im willing to bet there are WAYYYYY more viewers who will read the post and make a mental not to STAY AWAY FROM MAGIC!

bustbig
    BrendellaJet:
    I would delete your post(by editing) Call them, and give them one last chance to make it right. If they dont, then let them know you will be posting here. Keep the thread near the top. Then, once you've got some decent traffic on it, send them a link every now and then to see what they are missing!. Also, there may be 6k registered users, but im willing to bet there are WAYYYYY more viewers who will read the post and make a mental not to STAY AWAY FROM MAGIC!

bustbig
    BrendellaJet:
    I would delete your post(by editing) Call them, and give them one last chance to make it right. If they dont, then let them know you will be posting here. Keep the thread near the top. Then, once you've got some decent traffic on it, send them a link every now and then to see what they are missing!. Also, there may be 6k registered users, but im willing to bet there are WAYYYYY more viewers who will read the post and make a mental not to STAY AWAY FROM MAGIC! Origonaly the saleman I had been working with Ed had assured me that Magic would stand behind their product and do whatever it took to make things right, as I was being towed in he went on to say that I would only be out the time it would take to drive the boat out to Havasu to be taken care of. It was not untill The owner Ron got involved that I got a call from Steve the engine builder asking me for a deposit to start the work. The boat was only off their lot for five days! I was pissed off! I threatened to sue them, post my story on every forum I could find as well as publish my story in my magazine( I am an editor for a magazine published by the exact same people that publish Hot Boat, LFP) I got hung up on by the salesman ED. he started backpedeling about things he had said and what their policy was after being redirected by "his boss" I have heard from five people that work there that if it was their co. they would have just put a mercruiser in my boat and be done with it, but then they follow it up with "but I am not the boss" So I am not taking down shit. If I am goimg to spend 7 thousand dollars on a new motor I will be sure to cost them 70 thousand in lost boat sales.

Snorider
    Did you purchase the boat new or used? If the boat was purchased new it would have come with a warranty right from merc (parts & labor). However, even if it was under warranty, if the dealer tore it apart without merc's authorization, they voided your warranty...
    Either way, if you bought the boat new (or it still had a merc warranty) you got screwed because it should have been taken care of.
    If you PM me your merc. engine serial number, i can tell you if it is under warranty still (extended warranties are quite common) (assuming it was a merc to start with).
    Also, when i run your #, it will tell me if there were any warranty claims made against the motor - to see if the motor has been a problem the whole time, etc.
    Just tryin to help.
    Additional note:
    We had an incident recently with a 2002 boat that the owner always drove it around 2500rpm, and it wound up tuliping the valves - merc warrantied the entire job... parts & labor. Basically what i am saying is merc stands behind their product, assuming the dealer does everything properly.
    [ July 31, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]